Leopard WWDC FC Build Installation and Upgrade Path

mexapple

10 posts in this topic

For all you out there that have installed the latest build (WWDC Preview) of Leopard a few questions from a Leopard newbie....

1. Is a "clean install" absolutely necessary? Has anyone had good/bad experiences with upgrade install? I know Apple does not support it yet but I would really like to keep my Apps and configuration of my machine "as is", too much work to re-install and configure everything again.

2. What is the Upgrade Path? Is it able to get upgrades via "Software Update" or do I have to re-install when a new build comes along? In October, when I get my "retail" copy of Leopard will I have to re-install?

3. Is this build stable enough to be used as my main OS on a machine that I rely on for my daily work? Should I wait a bit more?

Thanks for your help to an OS X fan that is really anxious but doubting whether it's time to take the Great Leopard plunge!

24" Intel Imac, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 7300 Nvidia

1. Lots of problems reported with upgrade install. I would advice you being on safe side.

2. There is 1 update already ("Battery Update 1.2" or something).

I think they will be releasing updates to this beta until October. Seems reasonable to me - testers already got DVDs, not all of them will be able to download new builds. And Apple will want to get feedback on fixes.

It is usually a good idea to do a clean install of major revision of any new OS. And it's not like it is very hard to back up stuff in Mac. Also you will have some quality time setting things up. :poster_oops:

3. Depends on apps you need to use. Seems stable enough to me.

Hi, i have done a clean install. Well, it is really a beta version, programs sometimes crashes, but it is not very bad at all. I think the vishtas are more buggy in final release :poster_oops: And i am using it as my main and for now only one OS. Also the final release can not be upgraded on the current beta. it is written during the install

I currently have it installed on an external drive, but am contemplating installing onto my Macbook as the sole OS... but i'm a little gun shy, because I can't find my Macbook's restore DVDs, should anything go wrong :thumbsup_anim:

Worst case you can call Apple and request new disks. My Mac Pro's disks were defective and they were good about sending replacements.

My oppinion is: Use it only for fun/testing... It's a beta, and has a lot of bugs like crashing apps, BT issue, CS 3... And why use it already as main OS if you have 10.4.9/10.4.10 that is runnung flawless without hitsches?! Then I would not make any updates, and use Little Snitch to prevent that the OS is calling home.

Worst case you can call Apple and request new disks. My Mac Pro's disks were defective and they were good about sending replacements.

thanks for the advice...

also, little piece of advice for people wanting to install Leopard as their primary OS, but not wild about a clean install...

if you install it on an external drive first, you can take all your files, applications and settings etc over from your "regular" hard drive... then, when you clean install on your regular drive, i'd imagine you can take them back across...

i'm sure there's probably an easier way to do all that... but this is the first time installing a new OS for me... so pretty much making it up as i go along here :)

Thanks to all for your advice! Based on your comments I think I will wait a bit more time to pull the trigger on Leopard. At least that's what the rational side of me tells me.

But deep inside I can't wait to test drive the New Big Cat!

24" Intel Imac, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 7300 Nvidia

Use iBackup and back your data up. Do a fresh install with leopard, format and install. If anything goes wrong you can reinstall the old stuff and restore your backups. I LOVE this beta and, other than adium crashing silently once or twice and mail not working, it's perfect. 99% working in a beta? Sweet.

I just partitioned my main drive in half, after the install I just moved all my apps over, they asked what I wanted to move. I did all of it as my Mac Pro is only a week old and I just installed Logic Pro and a bunch of plugins. I had to reinstall all of my 3 party plugs (just the installers) and everything seems reliable so far.

I'll give a week and probably get rid of the Tiger install...

Later