Predictions thread

11 posts in this topic

I'd just like to see what people think may be coming, or hope will be coming in the remainder of the year (in addition to what we already know is coming...

I'll list mine:

1) iMac (late july/early august) ...yes, we know this is coming, but what will it entail? will apple finally upgrade the internals to compliment the exterior? 3g/s SATA, ddr2 800mhz? blu-ray? personally, with the end of the 17" iMacs pretty much guaranteed, i think apple will serve us a suprise or two... my own wish, beyond the things i've said already, is a 30" imac with, not one, but two hard drive bays. SATA or RAID @3g/s

2) 6g iPod (august-october.. launch with leopard?) if you go with the fact that the 5g and 5.5g have been out for a good long time, then a new ipod release seems all the more likely. and why release an ipod that's just like the old gen when you've got new things to put in? touchscreen... bluetooth... accelerometer.. video... ipod .....and flash memory would be icing on that cake (but i doubt that one)

3) Mac Mini replacement (launch with leopard/ holiday season?) mac mini may be getting the axe, and imac is moving toward the higher end... what will take it's place in the bottom echelon of apple's desktop offerings? i'm hoping for a single c2d processor desktop model myself.. something in the mATX arena with the minor hardware upgrades that i'd also like to see in the imac

4) a few hardware options on slightly older models... 8XXX series video cards for the mac pro to replace the outdated offerings. SATA 3g/s, ddr2 800mhz, blue ray

well, those are the main things i'm on the lookout for. what do ya'll think or hope is growing on the apple tree?

The iMac line will get a new look and most likely the santa rosa chips. I dont think it will get anything else major.

There will be no 6g ipod - Apple wants people to buy the iphone instead - remember they dont want it to be a phone only, they want it to be an ipod, phone and personal internet appliance.

The mac mini is sorely due for an upgrade. At the least it will get a c2d chip for Leopard. Maybe a bump to the x3000 video. Dont think anything else will be added.

Remember, apple move SLOWLY. They can do this because people are still buying the products AS IS, and only the die-hards are calling for upgraded models.

Heres what I think.

1) Make iMacs Touch Sensitive, so that they are more Media Centered

2) They move iMac to high end 20, 24 and 30 inch (maybe with Touch)

3) Axe Mac Mini

4) Release an upgradeable Desktop type computer, with which they can compete with Dell

5) Release an iPod Touch (Like the iPhone but with phone functionality and 80GB HDD)

Geforce 8's or Quadro 5600's and 4600's for Mac Pro and Santa Rosa and Geforce 8600's for iMac. x3000 and Santa Rosa for Macbook and Mac Mini. iPhones with 16GB. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray option on Mac Pro and Possibly iMac. Honestly, Apple is really predictable. Once they make one move it's easy enough to guess the rest. They don't do anything really revolutionary often and when they do they make a ton of noise about it (keep in mind they make a ton of noise about EVERYTHING- hell, you would've though they discovered cold fusion when they released the Mighty Mouse!) so it's hard to keep big things hidden ;)

4) Release an upgradeable Desktop type computer, with which they can compete with Dell

The day mac desktops stop sucking!

hell, you would've though they discovered cold fusion when they released the Mighty Mouse!)

:hysterical: :hysterical: