Leopard on PowerPC Macs as alternative Os

NeXTstop

20 posts in this topic

Hi, guys. I have a iMac G5 and I'd like install Leopard without erasing my actual Tiger installation.

I have not external disks.

Can I create a second partition for Leopard and install it into and then can I be able to choose the Os (Tiger or Leopard) to boot from?

Any help, please?

(excuse me my poor english...)

Hi, guys. I have a iMac G5 and I'd like install Leopard without erasing my actual Tiger installation.

I have not external disks.

Can I create a second partition for Leopard and install it into and then can I be able to choose the Os (Tiger or Leopard) to boot from?

Any help, please?

(excuse me my poor english...)

Yes, but you have to partition your disk with either iPartition (the full version running from a Mac OS X boot CD) or using the Apple installer (make a backup first because it requires you to clear all of your data from the disk).

Then you can install Leopard on the other partition and boot from there by pressing alt after boot or selecting it from Startup Disk is System Preferences as with Boot Camp.

Just to clarify, on my C2Duo MBP, all I have to do is fire up Boot Camp, create a new partition, get into Disk Utility, format that new partition to HFS+, and from there I can install Leo onto the new partition - and just hold option when booting or whatever.

Obviously there are still data risks, but yeah.

iDar, thanks! I'm assuming I can also get bootcamp to work on my Paltry 1.4 G4 mini... :-0 or my 15" 1.0 PB G4... it was really heartening to hear that it was running on a G3.. however differently it had to be modified :)

Boot Camp won't start in non-Intel machines - I was talking about the boot loader only.

Apparently iPartition is destructive (IRT the other post) and the terminal command is a bit long for my uneasy fingers, I suppose the worst that will happen if i screw up the command is that i'll lose all the data on that drive... :-D

No, iPartition is not destructive. That's the point of the product.

Additionally, IIRC, the instructions in that other thread will only work on GPT discs, which means PowerPC Macs are out of luck.

iPartition is the way ahead for you, but you will need to boot off another volume in order to use it on your boot volume.

No, iPartition is not destructive. That's the point of the product.

Additionally, IIRC, the instructions in that other thread will only work on GPT discs, which means PowerPC Macs are out of luck.

iPartition is the way ahead for you, but you will need to boot off another volume in order to use it on your boot volume.

=/ Shoot, I was hoping to install Leopard on my G4 mini but without killing my Tiger. I didnt realize it was all this complicated. To further worsen things my iPod is only 4 GB :P . W/e, Ill just back everything up to 5 or 6 DVDs :)

well the erase free space did nothing, I read somewhere else that I needed to "iDefrag" the drive before I could adjust the total space so that I could repartition... forgot to set port forwarding on my mac so i could VNC into it from work and play with it... During lunch of course :)

I've created a second partition on my iMac G5 and installed on Leopard and it works! Now I can choose (pressing option key) at boot time to boot Tiger or Leopard, or by preference panel "startup disk" the Os to boot from at next restart.

Here a step by step guide of how I did it.

Note: I have'not external disk and any os other than Tiger on my iMac G5.

1- Install Coriolis iPartition on Tiger.

2- iPartition can't manage a disk that is the current startup disk. So with Coriolis CD Maker I created a bootable cd that let to use iPartition from the bootable cd without access to Tiger of my iMac internal hard disk. So now I can create the partition.

3- Restart and boot (press 'c') from bootable cd, use iPartition to create a second partition (I did it of 20 GB) on the iMac hard disk, don't choose to format them. Quit iPartition and the Mac shut down.

4- Now boot from Leopard install cd. The second partition is not formatted , so you have to lunch Disk Utility (there is a menu of utility to lunch in the installer) e format it in HFS+ journaled, give it a name too ("Leopard" or so...) .

5- Return to installer choose the Leopard partition as destination of the installation and install!

6- Good Leopard guys.