Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MacVertigo

Installing Leopard

68 posts in this topic

Allright, this is what I did today:

Full Leopard image (6 GB one from bay - look for "the new big cat" there :-) ).

1. DMG mounted, verified.

2. DMG restored to iPod Nano 8GB;

3. MacBook Pro (15.4" version 2.2, Core 2 Duo) booted from iPod;

4. Existing FAT32 (BootCamp) partition was used (to test Leopard) as target of installation;

5. System went stable after 3 reboots (Spotlight?);

6. Tested, worked well;

7. iPod boot, install Leopard to main JFS+ partition (re-formatting it);

8. Again 3 reboots;

9. Works like a charm!

Currently preparing one more MacBook Pro and Mac Mini for an upgrade. :D

P.S. Step 2 (DMG to iPod) took like 1.5 hours or so. Installer boot (USB) was taking around 1 minute.

I have the same torrent, same Macbook Pro model, and when I try to boot the installer off of my iPod 5g, it gets stuck on the pinwheel. My thread is HERE.

Advertisement
I have the same torrent, same Macbook Pro model, and when I try to boot the installer off of my iPod 5g, it gets stuck on the pinwheel. My thread is HERE.

Strange really.

I've just installed Leopard on one more MacBook Pro (also version 2.2) - went nice and smooth.

Always gives me "ressource busy" when trying to restore Leopard dmg to my external FireWire harddrive...

It may happen when you interrupt verifying the checksum: the image even doesn't mount after that.

Just reboot and skip the verify.

good for burning with disk utility :)

but now, after a successful installation, when leopard boots it stucks in a blu window (the pre-login) and I can only move the trackpad..

Ok i have a 400gig usb2 external drive. I was going to partition the drive into 2 , restore leo with diskutil on one, and install on the other.

The computer will not boot from usb, (macbookpro core duo), and if i try to run the install from within tiger it tells me "the application installmacosx cannot be used from this volume". To install mac osx please use the application provided on the maxosx installation disk (((

Can anyone help?

i'm trying to restore this to my 3G ipod..unfortunately the iPod's harddrive keeps shutting down after a little while as if it's bored or something, then i get errors like (-2) no such destination or (-19) not enough room on volume or something to that effect. ....is there any way i can keep the hard drive alive whilst this is running or will i have to go out and buy a DL dvd burner??

Since I have no external drives, I decided to burn the .dmg in a DL DVD. But, tried both on an iBook and a MacBook Pro, my dvd won't boot. I burnt the image with Toast but at boot my dvd simply isn't recognized, but then mounted correctly in finder as Tiger starts again. Someone has a clue, please??

The same thing happened to me, I burnt it to a DL DVD using Toast 8 and it would mount on the desktop but would not boot off the disk. It'd read the disk for like 5 minutes at least and then just show a crossed-out symbol showing that it would not boot.

I believe quite a few other people are having the same issue. I had to use my 30gb iPod to install it, but you can only boot off USB devices on Intel Macs. I am working on a solution for this so I can install on my iMac G5 (powerpc) and will let you know if I get it working.

since my iPod is screwed.......would this be possible..............

1) non-destructively create a partition for the leopard DMG on my hard drive

2) restore to that partition

3) install from that partition to the BIG partition

4) uhh......use leopard?

would it work? i'd assume so...but maybe not as it's the same HD but it IS booting different partitions

I think Boot Camp creates a partition non-destructively, as NTFS of course, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to reformat it into a new HFS partition. Restore the dmg to that, boot from it, and use it to install Leopard in the "big" partition.

As I remember, there is a trick that make "Leopard"/"Tiger" can be install directly under a OS X. The trick include a procedure to open a certian *.pkg inside a package. But for Leopard (WWDC 06), when the installer is installing "BSD Subsystem" (or sth like that), the installer will halt and the user need to terminate a process by activity monitor or "kill".

Can anyone make sure does this trick work for Leopard WWDC 07?

I think this trick could save many ppl's a day.

I installed it on a core 2 duo iMac. From a Dual layer burnt disc. It has worked great except for Aperture's 3rd update does not install. Everything else has been sublime.

i dont get it leopard installed perfectly. In setupsteps he couldn't find my network and i can't get it up ?! someone with same experience or tips ?

I burned 2 double layers disks but none works. Eventually I tried the iPod solution and it works great. Easy fast and with a result!

so i seem to be having problems restoring this...i keep getting errors..................i'm assuming my image is corrupt......should i delete and re-download or will opening up my BT client work ok?

Ok, so I have the DMG burnt to a DVD-R DL. It boots up and I can start the install process, but when it gets to 22 minutes remaining it gets stuck. I've left it there for 3 hours and it doesn't move.

Any ideas?

I'm installing to my second Serial-ATA HD. This is running on a DP2.0Ghz G5, 1.5GB of RAM.

-locoR

My problem is with iPartition. It won't let me partition my hard drive at all and it's become quite annoying. I've followed the directions (e.g. make the boot CD) and it still doesn't allow me to partition the drive.

I have one of the old school PPC-Macs (ibook G4, 1,33 GHz) with no DL-Burner.

So the update from 10.4.10 was a little bit tricky.

1. Downloaded and burned Ubuntu Feisty. Did I mention that Ubuntu doesn't provide "offical" versions for the ppc architecture? So big thanks to the ppc-community!

2. Booted the ibook with the Ubuntu live cd. Took some minutes.

3. In Ubuntu opened up the terminal and "sudo gparted".

4. Resized the main hfs+ partition, so that I had 9 Gigs unallocated space at the end.

5. Started with my 10.4 DVD and formatted the unallocated space with the disk-manager utility. (why can (g)parted not format hfs+?) Got a new hfs+ partition (called "disk2" or someting)

6. Started 10.4.10 from disk

7. Extracted the dmg to the new partition

8. Reboot

9. Holding the option key and choosed 10.5 on "disk2" as starting volume.

10. Installed the big cat.

DONE!

This is what I did:

- I downloaded bootcamp just to create another partition

- Created 30GB partition for windows

- When it asked for windows cd before going restart, I put the Leopard DVD

- Reboot, and format the partition created by bootcamp to HFS

- Install Leopard to the partition

- Now I can dual boot between leopard and tiger

It Seems the biggest problem is partitioning with iPartition... I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, then I realized that YOU HAVE TO DEFRAG THE HARD DRIVE. This was because even though I had 16Gigs of Free space, I had data written at the Beginning and th END of the partition... So I compacted it (300Gig ~ 16 hours) then I went back into iPartition and Low and behold, I had free space to resize... Then I created my two additional partitions, restored to one, installed to the other, system runs great!

Perhaps I should post a Guide?

i have a powerbook G4 and i restored the image onto an external firmwire HD, restarted with option key being held. Booted to the Ex.HD but all i see is the apple logo and the spinning thing. I read that you have to wait a bit for it to load, well i left it on for 8 hours....and nothin happens. Any advice??

thanks!