seriously considering macbook, but..

12 posts in this topic

i'd like some help from you guys first.

i'm a recent Mac convert, i've been a PC user all my life until someone gave me a G3 500, and i've fallen in love.

i'm looking into the Macbook 2.16ghz 120gb for these reasons

1)quite well priced

2)sturdy

3)fairly cutting edge, hopefully last a while

4)dual booting XP and OSX flawlessly

now, i've just been discouraged after hearing all of the Macbook flaw rumours, like the "mooing" fans, the scaldingly hot 95 degrees Celcius bottom, and the cracking of the case from normal use.

are these things well build?

my fruit-coloured iMac can survive a bloody tornado, i'll bet you.

if i bought a macbook, would i regret it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a life time pc guy as well. Just got fed up over the weekend and bought the 2.16 pb with a 2g memeory. I live it and have no issues. been left on for 2 days and no moooing or heat issues. I was surprised about the heat issues or lack of. Thanks to the forum for helping me to try out OSX

I just got my macbook a week ago. Im loving it. Using it way more than my windows desktop simply cause its so easy to use. No problems so far for me. Touchwood. I would recommend getting 2 gigs of ram for it though if you plan to do work on it. I havent upgraded yet and I would be left with like 30mb of ram with photoshop and firefox running.

Im just kinda concerned when my macbook goes up to 70 C when I started importing photos, but I asked experienced mac users and they say its common. I just turn up the fan and it runs a lot cooler. Around 45-50 C when my room is like 20.

If you plan on buying it, GET IT! Its awesome.

yea, the macbook is very sturdy and very very good laptop, the macbook pro on the other hand is not so sturdy, it dents and gets banged very easily. form experience i can say that the macbook pro is an awesome laptop but does not have the durability that the macbook has. sure things may go wrong it, thats bound to happen w/ any computer and thats why you MUST buy applecare. then for 3 years you can be worry free if something happens to your laptop.

Got mine about a month ago. All I can say is that it really rocks. I worried about it being too flimsy but in reality it is very sturdy. Battery life is good about 3.5 hours with airport on and a little more with it off. I love the way it connects to my sprint cellphone easily. I get dsl speed (500/198) speed from that connection. On a bussiness trip recently it really outperform my previous laptop. Go for itf!!

• 5 weeks later...

i had enough from my macbook.. i'm sick of it, it has 4 months and it has more troubles than my old P4 windows xp PC..

here i paid almost us$1800 for a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo white macbook.. first, i had a hdd issue.. (replaced) then my tiger dvds where corrupted (had to get them from the green demon because MacStore wouldn't gave me new discs).. then i had troubles with the combodrive (replaced) and now!!

i'm having issues with the fu***** battery.. it is completly dead!!!!! my macbook has became a desktop mac..

i'm really pist off with those damn guys from apple..

anyway.. maybe its just me..

by the way... in october i'm getting an iphone :)

way to go...

my mbp has lots of dents for the little times i have dropped it, my school has macbooks, those get dropped all the time on tile floors, and they are fine

I own a Macbook Pro and I'm careful enough to not have dropped it yet, however I know that whatever laptop you use and extended warranty is never a bad decision. AppleCare cost me 440 euros, which is a lot of money. However I know that I will be using my Macbook Pro a lot for the next few years and that I want every failure to be covered, no unsuspected suprises. I owned a Packard Bell laptop that needed repairs within the year and after that it burnt out its video memory. My brother has a Toshiba, which are known to be fairly durable notebooks for as far as I know, he also had overheating problems. What I mean to say is, however well built your notebook is, while using it a lot and carrying it around everywhere makes it very likely it will fail at some point in some ways. Unless you plan to buy a new one within the year I strongly recommend AppleCare.

Now for some experience talk. My Macbook Pro gets hot but manages the cooling and never needs an emergency shutdown. A friend of mine had a Macbook, I believe the previous 2.0Ghz model. I never heard her complain about anything, however, she had a failing battery once. She had it replaced within the week, which I think is good service.

Service is there. If you have the warranty the worst that could happen is that you will miss your Macbook for a week or two. I think the Macbooks are amongst the best built notebooks available, with the nice extra of running OS X ;)

My macbook gets hot if i'm playing a game, but some does my sisters hp laptop when she plays games too. The fans are almost inaudible at 2500 rpm. It get just as loud as my sisters when i start a game. That's just a common problem with laptops.

My macbook is very sturdy and hasn't even suffered a ding, well i'm also careful, but it is sturdy.