10.4.10 and You

Dyne

20 posts in this topic

Did you use the paulicat method (restore mach_kernel, System.kext etc) or did you just apply it and reboot?

And as a side, a reinstall shouldn't be necessary. Boot from the CD, open terminal and get a semthex or netkas kernel restored.. beyond that you may need to restore a few kexts but I highly doubt a reload is necessary.

See:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=45283&hl=

(I'm going to dupe my drive and give it a shot now.. standby)

well... is done, works perfect in my laptop, i used 10.4.10 combo update with pacifist, i just unchecked the files that i didn't wanna install

looks like the network sharing is missing but the internet shared conection works fine

imagen2xs9.jpg

This is one of the threads that prove you can't go halfway. You must get a Mac that is 100% Mac to achieve the full Mac experience.

That's a very bold statement for someone who joined the forum a week ago.

Anyway, you are only partly correct here. You can get a "full Mac experience" if you work at it and you only install what you know will work. If you wait until others have tried the update (and/or fixed it) you will almost always be fine. A real mac would have little more to offer, other than, updates and drivers would be much easier to get working. (MUCH easier)

That's a very bold statement for someone who joined the forum a week ago.

Anyway, you are only partly correct here. You can get a "full Mac experience" if you work at it and you only install what you know will work. If you wait until others have tried the update (and/or fixed it) you will almost always be fine. A real mac would have little more to offer, other than, updates and drivers would be much easier to get working. (MUCH easier)

Hence the "it just works" part of Mac.

I just used my before and after scripts I created that backup mach_kernel and the extensions folder. Then I ran the update from Apple. Ran my script that replaces the mach_kernel with my old one, moves the new extensions folder to extensions_disabled and my backup back to extensions. repair disk permissions, reboot and all is well. 10.4.10 running smooth with everything except the new extensions folder... which I will test out on my machine as I get the chance.

FuturDreamz you're correct. I don't think anyone here disagrees w/ you that "Macs just work". Just keep in mind you're in the Hackintosh forums. The prefix "Hack" admitedly implies extra work, sometimes a lot of extra work..

So, if I'm gonna see what I can do with kernels while I'm at it, what kernel do I use? There's 2 channels with different 10.4.9/8.9.1 versions available on the osx86 IRC server, #1049 and #kernel. Ideally a hacked 8.9.4 (or whatever 10.4.10 comes with) would be nice, but I'm happy to have whatever works. The timestamps on the files get reset to localtime when I download them, so I'm not sure which one is the "best"/most recent.

My G4 reports 8.10.0.. girlfriend has the MBP so can't check intel but would assume the same version number.

I wouldn't expect an 8.10.0 in the hackintosh community right away although I wouldn't put anything past those dudes over at hackint0sh

Prescott, Duo, Core 2 and Quad core should go "64-bit fixed, SSE3 only w/ sleep support"

I have no updated yet the UX, but my MBP report that:

Versione sistema: Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R2218)

Versione kernel:
Darwin 8.10.1

That's wierd. My Mac Mini is still showing Darwin 8.9.1.

Kernel updates must only be for newer hardware maybe?

Do NOT install this update quite yet. I installed it on my Uphuck 1.3 DVD Install (SSE3, 64bit kernel) and it just endlessly reboots...

Don't go crazy yet :thumbsup_anim:

Use your install disc and re-install only the kernel that you used before. If you didn't save your kext files, you may have other problems though.