Dell Dimension E520 Working native install !

justinjja

18 posts in this topic

I have been working on getting osx86 running on my Dell Dimension E520 for a while now and finaly got it installed natively.

My E520 has the Pentium D processor (if u have a C2D post if this works for you) i also have inigrated graphics

1) Start downloading The uphuck 1.3 disk (demonoid would be a good place to look)

2) Install VMware

3) i burned the file to a dvd but u could probably just mount it using Alcohol. (if you have trouble with the .cdr extention you can just rename it .iso)

4) In vmware make a new Vm use other-other for the operating system the hard drive needs to be an actual drive and independen persistant.

5)make a new partition in windows but dont format it

6)start the vm and once it starts up use disk utility to erase the the new partition you made in windows Pick Mac os extended (Journaled) as the type

I used the universal kernel -2 (for Pentium D)

I used the drivers for ICH 7 and both of the drivers for ICH 8

I installed all the optional software that came on the disk but thats up to you

start the install

once it finishes restart you computer and hopefully you will boot in to osx

If u have trouble post problems here

as of right now internet and sound are not working nor is CI/QE

if u find a driver for them post a link here and if I find one ill will do the same

Good luck installing!

• 2 weeks later...

y have a dell e520 with core 2 duo and sata dvd+hdd but can not install osx on it.... still waiting for root device :) with vmware i manage to install it but it doesent boot :( .the disk utlity during instalation doesent recognize corectly my sata HDD always shous 127gb and my hdd haze 160 gb.... :P !!

pls help :( .

y have a dell e520 with core 2 duo and sata dvd+hdd but can not install osx on it.... still waiting for root device :dev: with vmware i manage to install it but it doesent boot :( .the disk utlity during instalation doesent recognize corectly my sata HDD always shous 127gb and my hdd haze 160 gb.... :wacko: !!

pls help :pirate2: .

did u install the drivers for ICH 8?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dell E520 now (Edited) mostly working.

Intel 965 with ICH8R SouthBridge

Core 2 Duo

SATA DVD and HDD. No PATA.

Kalyway 10.4.10 boots natively; no need for VMWare install anymore.

No need to set BIOS to AHCI anymore.

(Do not apply Kool Patch for e520 -- it is for AHCI mode. Apply the pata-sata one in drivers instead.)

Onboard Ethernet Intel 82562GT:

Install 10.4.3 IONetworking.kext did not work

Editing AppleIntel8555x.kext did not work

I gave up on onboard ethernet, turned it off in bios, and installed my old LNE100TX v4.1

Tulip cards are very cheap.

Here is the tulip.kext that makes it work

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=6115

Source code is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51598

Audio:

Install stac9227_83847618 from here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=231456

(Works for Kalyway, tried it for Tubgirl 10.4.10 and did not work there)

Video:

Both Titan and NVInject recognize my Nvidia geForce 7300LE. But QE still doesn't work.

But I am happy enough for now with the abilty to change screen resolutions and refresh rates.

Will keep working on it.

Safari and Rosetta fixes posted here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=456769

(Did not work for me yet as has to be applied from another install.)

Kext Links:

Fix as shown here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67035

Now posting this from native OSX 10.4.10 on dell E520

I think the Quartz Extreme problem is related to the Kalaway DVD and the .3 kernel. I noticed it myself since I have two installs of .10. Everything works fine (7600GT) in my upgraded main install which was JaS .8 and upgraded accordingly to .10 with PascalW.

I get the same QE issue with kalaway on my other install with both Natit and NVinject with the same 7600GT. It might even be the new Open GL frameworks that the 8.10.3 kernel uses.

I think the Quartz Extreme problem is related to the Kalaway DVD and the .3 kernel. I noticed it myself since I have two installs of .10. Everything works fine (7600GT) in my upgraded main install which was JaS .8 and upgraded accordingly to .10 with PascalW.

I get the same QE issue with kalaway on my other install with both Natit and NVinject with the same 7600GT. It might even be the new Open GL frameworks that the 8.10.3 kernel uses.

Good idea iron.

I tried substituting the .1 kernel. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. And curiously afterwards .dmg would no longer mount.

I am going to try Macdotnub's fixed system.kext for .3 kernel next.

Kalyway has an OpenGL folder moved into the Backups folder. Maybe this needs to be restored? Any ideas where it belongs?

And if nothing else works, I can use this Kalyway install to install 10.4.8 in another partition, and then upgrade your way.

Dell E520 now fully working!

Above ideas to patch Kalyway did not work; QE was still a problem.

However, Macdotnub installs to E520. QE worked immediately for me using NVInject and 250mb vram kext for Nvidia 7300LE card.

Macdotnub does not directly support the onboad lan or audio either, however, the sigmatel 9227 and tulip fixes suggested above do work on macdotnub.

Hi WMarsh,

Can you tell us all the options you've chose/check on the Mac.Nub 10.4.10 installation menu?

I have a 128MB GeForce 7300LE. Does your E520 have the same card and you've used the NVInject 256MB option to get QE to work?

Thanks.

Hi WMarsh,

Can you tell us all the options you've chose/check on the Mac.Nub 10.4.10 installation menu?

I have a 128MB GeForce 7300LE. Does your E520 have the same card and you've used the NVInject 256MB option to get QE to work?

Thanks.

Yes its 7300LE. BIOS says 128MB.

Actually I tried both NVInject 128 and 256 -- both work. Titan also works. Did not try Natit.

I figure 256 is the "right" number as card uses 128MB of system memory too.

For ich8r support you need the sata patch and the ich8r patch.

Other than that I just left options at defaults.

I never got onboard lan to work -- it was easier just to stick in the tulip card from my old 10.4.4 SSE2 system.

Sigmatel 9227 Audio works with the link above. Its not on macdotnub.

• 5 weeks later...

okay kids

I'm trying this fun stuff on a Dimension C521, and have considerably less knowledge than most of you.

Right now I'm installing JaS in VMware... I guess I'll see how to dual boot eventually--not sure about that.

I'm d/ling the kalyway version right now. What I want to do is wipe XP off my hard drive and install and run OS X natively. Possible? Feasible?

Specs are:

AMD athlon 3200 + at 2.0 GHZ

3.0 GB Ram

80 GB HDD SATA

Lite-On 16X DVD burner

Also, I don't use LAN or Ethernet, so I won't be installing that. Will a NetGear USB wireless pickup work with OS X? Drivers from the NetGear site? Other thoughts/suggestions?

• 5 months later...

I've been messing around with getting osx86 running for a while now, and did successfully get an OS X 10.4... whatever, it was old and since i formatted a while back, i wanted new! So i got back to work, research and all, finding out what seemed to work best for most anybody, let alone a system as pickey as this damn E520. I have the Pentium D (2.80 Ghz) with the SATA hd and DVD/CD-RW combo HD set to ahci (or IDE), pretty average, and very cheap :blink: . chipset is the Intel 965 ICH8-R, sound is sigma-smell 9227 and whatever the hell the video is, if anyone cares to, i wouldnt mind findout out how much memory it has, but other than that i probably need an upgrade. :blink: .

Anyways, i first tried leo4all, download, burn, freeze... download, burn SLOWER, load!!

Run install, customize, blah blah, nothing worked, no matter what i did it froze at 2 minutes remaining in the install, so i threw the disc out the window, and went to download kalyway.

The kalyway story went like this..

download, try to burn, and other computer freezes... burn some more, eventually get a disc that boots! So it loads, i go through looking at the things i need to install, this looks good, that too, should work... It was kalyway 10.5.2 intel/amd and so far went beautifully. the install finished, and i about cried when it got past that ****ing 2%. so it reboots, and i get the dreaded still waiting for root device... pissed, i go into my bios and switch it back and forth from ahci to raid and finally attempted to reinstall.

Needless to say that there's a ITNY little factor that'll save your mind, after about my 3rd or 4th install i finally see ALL the way at the bottom of the customization list a little tiny option that says something about a Dell workaround (that's not exactly what it said, so look hard). i almost died.....

So i check the dell workaround and everything else that seemed important. apparently didnt need any ich support, seems to work flawlessly as long as you have the hd set to ahci.

i install (making sure i have the right partition active, as that was one of my concerns, if you want the mac bootloader to load, set the mac partition active :P, but if you want to install vista or xp, it'll want that partition active as M$ is stuck up and think they're the only important ones.) It gets past the 2% and i'm leaping

, it reboots and i'm crossing my fingers toes, and anythign else that can be crossed, then out of nowhere... i see a pretty screen!! then mac loads, and im finally happy. to get sound working i use the applehda patcher (i used 1.16, not sure about others) i just dragged the codec dump .txt file for my specific sound card which had already been dumped by someone with the same card onto the actual program (not the window that pops up when u loa dthe program) and rebooted, then listened to music. not sure what else i can let you know, but if there's anything i might be able to help with, i will try if you message me.