OS X 1.4.8 "Hard Drive"

sekinto

28 posts in this topic

When I try to install Mac OS X from a DVD it doesn't seem to pick up my hard drive. Because when I get to the part where I have to choose a volume to install it to... it shows no devices, partitions, anything.

Here are my storage specs for reference:

IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller

IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller

IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD080HJ/P SCSI Disk Device (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Optical Drive LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4836K ATA Device

Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L ATA Device

SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Have you tried going to disk utility, then deleting and re-formatting your drive? That should work.

Yeah, I was recomended to do that by another person. The problem is that the only device that shows up under the disc utility is which ever one of my CD/DVD drives I put the disc in.

Interesting. There have been many reported problems like yours on nforce4 chipset mobos, but in general the problem is with the SATA controller, not IDE. This is odd, but not surprising, considering the number of problems we have had with nforce4. i suggest you look around at the nforce4 fixes, perhaps they have something working. If nothing else, you can be pretty sure the problem is the ide controller.

Interesting. There have been many reported problems like yours on nforce4 chipset mobos, but in general the problem is with the SATA controller, not IDE. This is odd, but not surprising, considering the number of problems we have had with nforce4. i suggest you look around at the nforce4 fixes, perhaps they have something working. If nothing else, you can be pretty sure the problem is the ide controller.

Could you be kind enough to point me to where the I find these nForce4 workarounds? Sorry, but this is my first day in the forum.

I have the same issue with an Acer Aspire 5050. It is not listed in the compatability list, but gives no errors during the verbose mode on bootup. It starts right up, but no disks listed in the install box, or disk utility. I tried several tutorials thinking it needed to be in the FreeBSD format before it would recognize it, but that did not work either. I have tried to use Acronis Disk Director to format it, and even showed the Linux ID of scsi12. I am wondering if this is related, but not sure. I am looking for the nforce issues now, and hope someone finds some resolution! Thanks for the great site!

Marco Carter

I have the same issue with an Acer Aspire 5050. It is not listed in the compatability list, but gives no errors during the verbose mode on bootup. It starts right up, but no disks listed in the install box, or disk utility. I tried several tutorials thinking it needed to be in the FreeBSD format before it would recognize it, but that did not work either. I have tried to use Acronis Disk Director to format it, and even showed the Linux ID of scsi12. I am wondering if this is related, but not sure. I am looking for the nforce issues now, and hope someone finds some resolution! Thanks for the great site!

Marco Carter

Thanks for posting, do you know if any older versions will work?

No, I am not sure. I would assume that the newer versions would be the better. I am open to any suggestions though! I think this is turning out to be a SATA or nforce issue. I am trying to install this on another laptop, and getting the waiting for root device error, argh. I would think there would be a way to load the drivers or add the drive in terminal. Some of the tutorials show to use disk0sx and some say rdisk0sx, does anyone know the difference?

My motherboard uses the ULi 1695 chipset, so it's nothing to do with nforce4 here. I have my bios updated up to the latest version and everything.

Probably just a crappy SATA controller or something. Oh well.

cartermp, i just bought aspire 5050 today.

having the same problems with you (no hdd listed, except for 4,4gb installation dvd)...

i'll try to look for some answers on the net now. and if you do find some answers could you please be kind to share it with me?

thanks... don't let this thread dry :P

x-na

@Lkr

i did delete the partition, recreated it using fat32 with xp installation dvd.

and still there is no hdd listed on the disk utility.

the osx86 10.4.8 installer is good, i can verify that because i have installed on my desktop pc earlier and it went fine (except for vga and no sound).

@Soundless

i don't know how to do that... can you enlighten me more?

i'll ask uncle google meanwhile...

ohh.. i can't find ahci setting on my bios...

i need to disable ahci right?

I'm using Asprise 5052 and it's the same as Kris , nothing listed in D.U except DVD Driver . does it need a patch to sovle the problem ? My OS X86 ver is jas 10.4.8 Sse 2 + Sse3 Intel Amd.. It was not patched with PPF1 and PPf 2 , Anyone tried ?

I have not tried it, but would be very interested to see the results! I would love to get this thing going, but am wondering if we are just spinning our wheels.....does anyone know if other sata drives work with this version? BTW, never mentioned, but I am using 10.4.6.....

• 2 weeks later...