Dell 700m People ...

32 posts in this topic

I just succeeded in installing 10.5.1 Kaly on the 700m. Sound and Wireless both work along with wired network.

I formatted my HDD with the GUID option and named the partition MACOSX. On boot i have to enter "tohkernel" to avoid the endless reboot.

give it a shot.

.edit. i just noticed that there seems to be no battery icon in the taskbar, im assuming that this is because my machine is labeled as a macpro. any ideas?

malibusurf,

What settings did you use to install 10.5.1 Kaly? I succesfully installed it once but i did not remember the settings. I reformatted my HD and now I cant install it anymore.

.edit. i just noticed that there seems to be no battery icon in the taskbar, im assuming that this is because my machine is labeled as a macpro. any ideas?

My experience was the 700m ran very slow when the power plug was disconnected. It'll take forever just to open anything.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425

This link might help you

• 1 month later...

If you are using the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 install you need to select the following only and nothing else.

SSE2

MBR

If you select any of the others you will have issues with repeated booting etc.

You probably have figured this out already but posting hear so others can find it if they have similar issues.

I have almost everything working on 700m except the PC Card Reader

Fixed battery meter with help from this post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425

The problem I have is:

- When the power plug is not connected during boot up, Leopard runs really really slow.

EDIT: Even after boot up with the power connected, it'll become slow after running for quite sometime

Do any of you guys have this problem also?

Hi JoTie

Yes I also experience slow boots when booting from battery power. Has something to do with the fact that the processors in our 700m machines have speedstepping without anyway to turn it off from the bios. I had this same problem in 10.4.5 but solved it with a speedstepping kext. I have been looking for a kext that works for LEO to solve this problem.

I haven't experienced the laptop running slow after boot up with the power connected. When you say "for quite sometime" how long is a long time?

Let me know if you solve this issue, or where you are in solving it.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share my Kalyway 10.5.2 install experience here (as well as the wiki) since I didn't find an "official" 700m thread...

I created two partitions on my 40gb drive and installed Windows XP on the second partition before installing OS X. Once XP had finished, I booted from the Kalyway DVD (took about 20 minutes) and installed 10.5.2 to the first partition and selected the following customizations:

Sleepkernel

Speedstepkernel

Broadcom Drivers (Wireless and Wired)

SSE2 patch

The install took another hour or so to complete. Once finished the system would boot but very slow (5-6 minutes) after selecting Leopard from the Darwin prompt. I resolved this by installing the PCMCIA cardbus drivers (see below). The system now boots OS X in about 25 seconds, which is faster than XP.

Windows XP is Fat32 so that Leopard has full read/write access to that partition.

As far as I can tell, both OSes work and play well together so I'm calling this a successful installation. To me OS X 10.5.2 seems much faster and more responsive than XP, which came as a big shock. I was originally just screwing around and wanted to see if it would actually work. However at this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to continue to use OS X as my primary operating system.

Unresolved issues:

1 - Default video mode is 1024x768 and can't be changed.

2 - Machine must be booted with AC adapter connected (speedstep issue) or it's too SLOWWW to use. (Switched from "sleepkernel" to "speedstepkernel" but that results in a kernel panic when booting on battery).

What's Working:

Dell Trumobile 1350 Wireless - working OOB

PCMCIA Cardbus - Working (with "beta 3" package) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

Battery / Power Management Bundle - Working http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=80425&st=0

Trackpad Scrolling - Working http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=sse2+10.5.3

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
I have the 700 m installed on a seperate partition and am able to boot it. i have not gotten audio or wlan to work yet. What type of help do you need on the install part.

what setting in customize do i use for the installation, it stays on the apple logo after installation,it is a inspiron 700m