Black screen with cursor

krowa02

4 posts in this topic

Hello, im an osx86 noob and just got a dvd with the new upuck release (1.3)

I installed without any problems on a spare HD I have (took out the hd with windows and just placed the new one in, this is just a test project for now)

Anyway, install perfect, prompts me to reboot. I reboot, dvd still in drive, I get the darwin screen that I get when I put the DVD in the first time to install. I take it out, and reboot. This time I get a black screen with a blinking cursor (similar to when you mess up with your windows partitions and your mobo cant find your boot file)

I have no idea what could have caused this to happen. Here are my comp specs

2.66 Pentium D

2gigs DDR

Nvidia 7800GS

Western Digital 36gig raptor (drive I put osx86 on)

Asus p5p800 SE

I have the same issue with the 10.4.9 v1.2 Uphuck DVD.

I am installing into a VMWare virtual machine, the install goes perfectly well and on the first reboot just get a black screen with flashing cursor before the VM boots off the virtual hard disk.

I have tried changing the disk to be SCSI instead of IDE but no joy.

On my Desktop PC, this happens to me all the time, also when trying to boot Linux. I read somewhere that it was a motherboard problem for me, so it might be for you as well.

On my laptop, however, everything installs fine. Right now I'm downloading 10.4.9 v1.3 of Uphucks DVD and hopefully it'll work for me but if not then I think it's just a motherboard problem.