Repartition without losing data

Namja

10 posts in this topic

I only allocated 10 gigs on my windows partition. Now I actually need more space. Can I repartition without affecting what I have there now, ie without reformatting the entire partition from scratch?

--Namja

As far ask I know, this is not possible. You will have to back up anything on the windows partition that you want (not too hard in this case - a couple of DVDs) and use Boot Camp to wipe away the Windows partition. The OS X partition will be left untouched, however.

It is possible (search via google) but there are risks involved and I would never recommend it. Specially if your drives are full of important data. If you have no room for a backup then do yourself a favor and buy an external HDD.

hecker

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe you can do it since no normal tool like Partition Magic will run on a Mac with XP under bootcamp. Partionmagic is a great tool for doing just what you want to do, (now sold by Norton), but it won't work due to issues on the EFI bios you machine is running under bootcamp.

XP itself won't allow you to repartition a main hard drive (under disk management) at least I have never figured out a way to do it.

When I installed on my box, I wanted to create two logical drives, one for the OS and one for data and scratch. I have read the ways people have worked out a solution for this, but I already had XP loaded and didn't want to redo it all. I had hoped that I could just install partionmagic and resize on the fly. No GO. Only solution I have found is using an external USB hard drive. They have come down enough now that you can get 160GB under 200.00.

Paul C

Whenever I need to add some space to my windows partition on my iMac, I use the GParted live cd. It supports the GPT partition table used by Intel Macs. After that I use rEFIt to update the MBR used by windows. Usually windows will complain about missing files, so boot off the windows cd. If you use Vista, choose the option to repair the installation. I'm not sure if XP will just work, but if it doesn't then a repair install should fix it.

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul. What is the best way to do this pre-install. I want the same thing - an os partition and a data/scratch partiton. I have already installed XP, but will do it over again if I can't get live gpart to work.

Thanks,

-DP

-snip-

When I installed on my box, I wanted to create two logical drives, one for the OS and one for data and scratch. I have read the ways people have worked out a solution for this, but I already had XP loaded and didn't want to redo it all.

-snip

Paul C

Hi guys

Like 6 months ago I bougth an IMac 24" Intel it came with 250 Gb hdd so I use bootcamp to create a room for Win XP, now I need more space on my Win XP, so I get another hdd and use a WinClone under OsX to create a image from my Win XP and restore it on my new hdd. Every thing works fine, but now OsX won't recognize the new hdd. It said some thing about "the disk you inserted was no readable by this computer". I don't know what I did wrong. So far if I restart the computer and press/hold option key I can see 3 partitions wich are : Osx, Win XP om my internal hdd and Win XP on my external hdd, I can even boot on my external hdd from there, but if I boot into my OsX this is what I get "the disk you inserted was no readable by this computer" and I will like to see my second drive from OsX. What will hapen if I rezise OsX to the original, I will be able to press and hold the option key to get my external hdd?

Any Ideas?

Thank you Raza