Official Custom Icon Thread

43 posts in this topic

I've found a Mail.app template for AI on macNN forums (i'm sorry but i don't remember the user who made it), also with kol's amazing flags i tryed to do something, and got it:

selobr24fe.png

I'm not expert photoshop user, but thats a little fun having your own icon :laser:

Although this is definitely not my personal kind of taste -- I hate neon glowing effects and there is really no way I could ever find the X86 logo aesthetically pleasing(*) -- I must say that this is very good work. Congrats.

(*) IMHO the simplicity of the roman numeral X is in stark contrast to the playfulness of the arabic numbers 8 and 6, that simply doesn't fit together for me in one single design where these two objects are on the same visual level or even superimposed over each other. Besides that, because of its strong graphical quality the simple numeral X is something I can relate to, it is a strong visual element, a signifier that does not necessarily depend on a signified object, whereas the "86" strikes me as something visually rather less power- and also less meaningful (although I know that it denotes a processor architecture, a CPU is probably the last thing that would come to my mind when reading 86 or x86), thus I find it rather distracting in this context.

Those look good Ralleria - if I was going to make a suggestion, it would be to 1) decrease the shine at the top of the HD since it kinda whites out the X and 2) try to make the 8X6 try to look like it was going way from you, like it was laying flat on the HD. Right now, the X is bent a little bit, but the 86 is still straight up and down. The should look like it's laying down, so that the top of the X looks far away. Does that make any sense?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will do the necessary changes as soon as possible.

Anyway, any other hint for the colour or the style would be great. I'll come up with something totally different in the next days (same kind of object), different shape and style.

Moreover, that would be great if this thread will be used to show our icon creations

I agree Ralleria, and I adjusted the thread title accordingly.

A few icons that look like the standard, regular Mac versions but with x86 on them would be cool - like the default folders, hard drives, etc. A custom x86 System Preferences icon would be sweet too.

i've got authorization of liro to post some custom blizz folders :D

My first ones are:

A simple icons for your psp stuff.

pspicon16pk.png

europspgamefolder5sh.png

(games folder looks Like sony marketing on europe :P)

To download just drag it to your computer or pixadex.

I also do an update of my mail icon, still incomplete (need to fade out the tails)

tafoda9ua.png

Thanks!

I had the intention to create a whole package with this style and I'll do.

Meanwhile I can release this single icon. If any of you is interested in knowing how to create an icon like that I can write a little tutorial as well as posting the psd file.

intel_iBook.zip

Edited by ralleria

...I can release this single icon. If any of you is interested in knowing how to create an icon like that I can write a little tutorial as well as posting the psd file.

I would very much appreciate that, actually!

I love photoshop tutorials, and would enjoy making icons with your style!

--urby