"Top Features" Reviewed

t3mur

15 posts in this topic

At WWDC today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs dedicated most of his keynote address to overviewing Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and detailing some of its top-secret features, including a new desktop user interface and a new Finder.

Desktop

Leopard's new desktop will feature a variety of enhancements, including:

- Enhanced, 3D Dock. Slimmer and more functional.

- Stacks (organization tool similar to a stack of paper). Can fan out or pop up in a grid.

- No more brushed metal. Consistent look.

desktop_gallery_grid20070611_300.jpg

Readers with keen memories may recall that Stacks (aka "Piles") was originally rumored to be included in OS 10.3 "Panther".

Finder

Leopard's revised Finder has a new sidebar and numerous improvements to searching, including the ability to search shared computers. Also added was a Finder feature called Back To My Mac for connecting to Macs not on the same LAN, using .Mac to identify the computer's IP address automatically, so remote connections can be created more easily. Cover Flow has also been incorporated into the new Finder.

finder_gallery_coverflow20070611_300.jpg

hero_safari3_20070611.gif

hero20070611.png

Citing Safari's increasing market share (currently 4.9%, according to Apple) and Apple's desire to see increased adoption of its innovative browser platform, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that Apple has ported Safari to Windows (XP and Vista).

Experience the web, Apple style, with Safari: the fastest, easiest-to-use web browser in the world. With its simple, elegant interface, Safari gets out of your way and lets you enjoy the web -- up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer.

The Safari 3 Public Beta is available for download for both Mac and Windows.

And off-course the re designed Apple Website

newsite.jpg

Please add any that are your fav or I forgot to mention. (not on purpose) :whistle:

t3mur

PS, am I the only one who thinks that leo looks a bit Aeroish?

stacks are great, the new finder and quickview is cool. I never was very impressed with spaces since Im not a maniac that has 20 windows open at the same time, and time machine seems totally useless since I dont delete files I shouldnt. I cant understand why they made the menu bar transparent, it serves no purpose and looks weird (unlike the taskbar in Vista, which looks good because its only like 15% transparent and blurs), if anything make the dock icons transparent until you hover of them. Maybe they felt they needed something to look like Aero.

I think by far the greatest and most useful feature will be stacks, there hasnt been such a useful feature since expose. I think this will be the best OS X update since it also includes a major finder update.

Up until now I figured Leopard would be just another lame update that costs 129 bucks like most of the other ones. Im glad they are making it worthy of the .5 milestone.

PS, am I the only one who thinks that leo looks a bit Aeroish?

No you're not.

And it's butt-ugly.

Apple is playing copy-cat these days instead of front-runner in innovation. They even have to port their killer-apps to Windows. That they did iTunes... sure, to please the iPod-customers. But this is ridiculous.

BTW. Safari 3 is dog-slow in Windows XP. below is the config of the 2 systems in use.

Win XP system: P4 530 3GHz (I865 mainboard, ATI Radeon 9800pro, 1GB RAM); Safari 3

OSX system: P4 630 3GHz (I915 mainboard, ATI Radeon X1600, 2GB Ram); Safari 2

Compared to the OSX Safari this Windows version sucks big time. Firefox is WAY faster.

Especially since the 2 systems here are about equal in power and performance, The Radeon 9800pro is faster than the X1600pro and the 530 is also faster than the 630, the Win XP system has just half the memory that's all. Big dissapointment. It looks very good (gorgeous text rendering) but I really, reallly, really, really, really want that brushed metal look. Why are they departing from such a great look? Why reverting to dull grey (albeit a gradient grey) while they have such a fine textured metal look. Couldn't they have just made some cool gradient highlights in the metal structure to make it stand out instead of this drab grey? It almost looks like a bloody Amiga :thumbsup_anim:

I never was very impressed with spaces since Im not a maniac that has 20 windows open at the same time, and time machine seems totally useless since I dont delete files I shouldnt. I cant understand why they made the menu bar transparent, it serves no purpose and looks weird (unlike the taskbar in Vista, which looks good because its only like 15% transparent and blurs)

Yeah Spaces is a waste unless you use full screen apps a lot. And I think the new transparent menubar is ugly as hell! The Aero taskbar looks good, but your right, the menubar is too transparent.

I think by far the greatest and most useful feature will be stacks, there hasnt been such a useful feature since expose. I think this will be the best OS X update since it also includes a major finder update.

Expose owns if you have a Mighty Mouse! And stacks do look really awesome, I also think "Floor" is pretty cool.

And as you said, Leopard looks like one of the best 10.# releases yet!

does it seem as if the remote desktop sharing through ichat was removed? if it is, very very dissapointing, atleast for me who has to help out everybody i know on their computers (and more and more are being mac users) and it would have been sooo useful.

i don't know if anyone saw or can tell, but does this mean hopefully the save dialog features will have been changed, i feel mentally challenged when i try to save files sometimes.

i am personally looking forward to spaces because being on a macbook and liking safari and some other things full screen, i will have use for it, but this reminds me expose/future spaces really needs a mouse to be fully appreciated

does this count for the "new finder" people have been wanting, like is it the same under the hood or is it cocoa?

300+ new features? i hope so, and honestly does anyone believe that there will be new "secrets" come october?

When apple says 300+ new features they are talking about code changes and {censored}. Theyve said that with every release. Usually theres only a handful of new features that people will actually notice, the rest are stupid features like a new java script version or some new kernel that prevents a specific kernel from doing something specific during a specific situation.

The menu bar is WAYYY UGLY!! Hopefully they included some appearance settings to tweak it and if they didn't I guess we'll have to be stuck with this since this is 'feature-complete'. Anyone get their hands on the build?

BTW. Safari 3 is dog-slow in Windows XP. below is the config of the 2 systems in use.

Win XP system: P4 530 3GHz (I865 mainboard, ATI Radeon 9800pro, 1GB RAM); Safari 3

OSX system: P4 630 3GHz (I915 mainboard, ATI Radeon X1600, 2GB Ram); Safari 2

Funny to heard that, on my configuration Safari 3 is blazing fast but unusable because it crashes a lot.

Windows XP: P4 3ghz + 512 Mo RAM + integrated graphic card (corporate desktop).

It's a little vista like but you've been able to do transparencies for years now. Leo looks like it just lets you do that without any third party apps. I think it will have settings for how transparent you want things or if you want no transparency. If it doesn't have such settings someone will make a app to give us those settings. Stacks looks cool, at least on the grid. Quick look is cool, apple tv for front row is cool. I'd say there's a lot of improvements. I've been waiting for a new finder. I like path finder and hopefully Apple made something better. As for the gui, I think we can relax a little. I'd be surprised if apple thought everyone would want transparencies, especially people hard of seeing, and don't forget there is always shape shifter. I'm sure they will make an update and you can make leo look like tiger, OS 9, Vista, or some clowns vomit... whatever....