iBook woes....

6 posts in this topic

It's a mates, 12" iBook, symptoms are:

1. Boots, starts OSX (Panther) and is fine from 10-15 mins - then locks up.

2. One time it locked up with the top third of the screen dark.

3. It boots single user and its happy all day.

4. I can't boot from CD or DVD, sometimes getting nothing, sometimes showing a a bootable volume with option key held on boot. OSX Panther boot CD sort of boots to a no entry sign!

5. Diag disk boots and reports no errors.

I've done the pram zapping, firmware resetting dodges, only thing I've not done is removed the ram or tried the PMU switch it has one.

I suspect software, managed to repair permissions still locks up tho. The fact it;s happy in single user mode backs that up. But why no CD boot?

I have no idea as to why it wont boot from a CD, you'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along. I really wasnt impressed at all by the iBook. The MacBook is awesome! But the iBook, in any size with any proc...sucks. ;)

Here is the solution!

It's not the Operating System or Firmware problem

Its your GPU.... iBooks contacts on the logicboard for the GPU are really bad and they FAIL! Same thing happened on my iBook. The only way to fix it is to get a new laptop.

Its your GPU.... iBooks contacts on the logicboard for the GPU are really bad and they FAIL! Same thing happened on my iBook. The only way to fix it is to get a new laptop.

That sux so bad.. At least now maybe your friend can get the incredible Macbook.