Alex's (Belated) Release Roundup

21 posts in this topic

Hi Mac fans, I'm back and just in time for a big release roundup.

As you all know by now this week saw the release of the new Santa Rosa MacBook Pros, in the following configurations:

* 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, 15" LED. GeForce 8600M GT 128MB

* 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 15" LED. GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

* 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 17". GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

In yet more new releases out today, Parallels have released version 3.0 of their popular Parallels Desktop virtual machine for Mac.

Major updates include the addition of 3D graphics support, the ability to view Windows folders from within Mac OS X without booting the virtual machine, and virtual machine snapshots.

My copy is downloading now, so look out for a review on the site very soon, alongside my much-delayed review of MacDrive 7!

Finally, Apple has today released Boot Camp Beta 1.3.

Primarily a release to provide support for the new Santa Rosa MacBook Pro, other features of this release include:

* Support for keyboard backlighting (MacBook Pro only)

* Apple Remote pairing

* Updated graphics drivers

* Improved Boot Camp driver installer

* Improved international keyboard support

* Localization fixes

* Updated Windows Help for Boot Camp

That's it for now, but look out for much more regular updates right here on InsanelyMac!

Update:

Forum member Cyman points out that VMWare Fusion Beta 4 was also released today.

Heh, I love the new MBP, I'm going for the top 15" one, because my hackintosh died on me. Listen to this:

I have saved 1900€ for the MBP, but I can't buy it in France (where I live), because they cost minimum 1999€ (low-end 15"). But if I go to the US, and convert my money, I can buy the top 15" model. I'm so glad I'm going to Chicago in 2 weeks... perfect timing! :lol:

Edit: apparently they're now 1899€, which is better, but still not enough for the high end 15". Screw Europe and it's absurd taxes!

sheesh! thought when i read santa rosa platform was gma x3x00 support! but mac decided to use nvidia gfx :-(

Isn't the 8600M much faster than GMA X3000? I'd expect the X3000 to be something on the next MacBook, not MacBook Pro.

The X3000 is just a bit better than the GMA 950, but has more features such as Pixel Shader 3.0, Hardware TnL etc

Hi Mac fans, I'm back and just in time for a big release roundup.

As you all know by now this week saw the release of the new Santa Rosa MacBook Pros, in the following configurations:

* 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, 15" LED. GeForce 8600M GT 128MB

* 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 15" LED. GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

* 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 17". GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

In yet more new releases out today, Parallels have released version 3.0 of their popular Parallels Desktop virtual machine for Mac.

Major updates include the addition of 3D graphics support, the ability to view Windows folders from within Mac OS X without booting the virtual machine, and virtual machine snapshots.

My copy is downloading now, so look out for a review on the site very soon, alongside my much-delayed review of MacDrive 7!

Finally, Apple has today released Boot Camp Beta 1.3.

Primarily a release to provide support for the new Santa Rosa MacBook Pro, other features of this release include:

* Support for keyboard backlighting (MacBook Pro only)

* Apple Remote pairing

* Updated graphics drivers

* Improved Boot Camp driver installer

* Improved international keyboard support

* Localization fixes

* Updated Windows Help for Boot Camp

That's it for now, but look out for much more regular updates right here on InsanelyMac!

Why didn't you add VMWare Fusion Beta 4 to your release roundup?

There it is!

This is really an exciting week for Mac users and the best is yet to come. Only three days to go until WWDC!

Why didn't you add VMWare Fusion Beta 4 to your release roundup?

There it is!

This is really an exciting week for Mac users and the best is yet to come. Only three days to go until WWDC!

At the time I posted, I wasn't aware of the Fusion release. I'm not even sure it had been announced at the point I submitted.

But yes, them too. And I think the phrase "me too" perfectly sums up both today's release from them, and their product in general.

Amazing coincidence all three Windows-On-Mac solutions coming out today. Amazing.

But yes, them too. And I think the phrase "me too" perfectly sums up both today's release from them, and their product in general.

Except that VMWare Fusion has Unity which is pretty awesome and VMWF can do everything else Parallels can do.

Parallels 3.0 gave me a kernel panic. i rebooted, opened it, and upgraded the Parallels Tools software in the virtual machine. It told me to reboot, but now it crashes before loading the Windows desktop every time.

Ugh. :thumbsdown_anim:

Except that VMWare Fusion has Unity which is pretty awesome...

I was under the impression that was a clone of Coherence on Parallels. Or am I missing something?

and VMWF can do everything else Parallels can do.

That's pretty much my point. "Me Too!", said VMWare...

I was under the impression that was a clone of Coherence on Parallels. Or am I missing something?

Just installed it and played(WMWF indeed) ; Unity , IMHO , is little bit further ,on usability side.

The integration is better than Coherence, you don't need to keep the winzozz bar above the dock; you can takes M$ apps open ,using the windows related natives only.

It's a big huge step on having no need of M$ SO at all.Gamers or not gamers involved.

;)

...you don't need to keep the winzozz bar above the dock...

Do you mean it can be moved elsewhere, or that you can choose to not display it?

If the latter, Parallels can do this too.

I think we need to have some sort of Parallels V VMWare review at some point. This should wait until VMWare is out of Beta, though.

All versions of VMWare Fusion got me kernel panics at the last part of installation (when the installer execute the final scripts). After restart, I can launch VMWare, but I can't apply the serial number, even the one got me by them (trial SN), the program says me about the incorrect SN. I can use Parallels only. ;)