Vista

four!

22 posts in this topic

Well. I've been using Vista now as a primary OS for about 3 weeks and it isn't too bad.... I am a Apple person and always will be BUT Vista is very slick.

I'll admit I feel like I'm using a skinned version of OS X but its not all bad although Flip 3D does suck compared to Expose'.

One thing I dislike is Vista does not like older programs. iTested Sound Forge 7 and it died but 9 worked fine.

My Conclusion:

Windows Vista = Good and usable

Mac OS X = Perfect

(I am typing this from a Vista machine with an Apple Keyboard)

Nothing beats expose if your using a Mighty Mouse, without one its not as good.. (although the show desktop thing is pretty handy). I like Vista a lot, and I think it gets a lot of bashing it doesnt deserve.. I havent had too many program compatability issues but there have been some. As far as Tiger being perfect I cant say I agree with you there, but it is a definitely a good alternative to Windows.

No operating system is perfect. Even though I prefer to use OS X over Windows XP or Vista for numerous reasons....I can name 3 (to me major) shortcomings of OS X off the top of my head.

1.) No Cut/Paste command by default

2.) Finder sucks by default, it could have been so much more

3.) Amount of games avaliable is only a fraction of what is avaliable for Windows.

(I am typing this from a Vista machine with an Apple Keyboard)

lol, I'm doing the same.

And honestly, I'm enjoying it a LOT. I'll keep this computer as a gaming rig and get myself a MBP for trips and photography.

Vista is great, runs very fast on my computer and I'm glad I got it for about 30€ (fair price, eh?) from Fujitsu-Siemens update program.

"Perfect" I was meaning for me and my computer needs. hehehehehe.

Well in that case Vista is perfect for me and OS X would be if it wasnt for all the games I play. I guess I also just know Windows really, really well and I dont like having to relearn more advanced OS stuff.

Also congrats on the black macbook!! If I were ever going to buy a laptop it would be a MB or MBP.

Well, Vista will be soon better. Just wait one more year. :hysterical:

If your referring to Service Pack 1, its closer than you think:

Windows Vista SP1 confrimed

Microsoft Downloads can never keep a good secret, always spilling the beans no matter how many times you point at it (keep it up team!). After all the lies Microsoft had to endure to keep Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (otherwise known as the Second Coming) a forbidden secret, it has been officially confirmed (again) by no other than Microsoft itself. Take that Sinofsky.

A download published only a few hours ago, “Windows Automated Installation Kit Documentation (Windows Server code named “Longhorn” & Windows Vista SP1 Beta 3)“, clearly describes the existence of SP1 not only once, but twice. Here’s proof, just in case it is taken down just as fast as it was published.

I have Vista Home Premium on my MBP and I am surprised. It runs quite nicely (even better than XP did IMO) and doesn't look too bad. I guess it's kind of bloated but that's a given with Windows I guess. I look forward to Leopard now because I think M$ have a nice OS here.

i don't own a mac. but as for xpose. vista has something similar called " instant viewer" .. if you have a three button mouse or a wheel mouse by logitech, you can set it to any button. i have it on the center or wheel button. it works and looks like expose.

as for the flip panel, all mac users should be use to keyboard short cuts. and it does work well. i prefer the " instant viewer " from the mouse though.

anyone tried that feature in vista???? it is available on all vista version.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using XP for years and I totally replaced XP with Vista a few months ago. Tried running it for close to a month as my primary OS. Somehow I didn't like it at all. Everything felt sluggish and I had probs with simple things like copying files. Eventually I went back to XP. OSX on the other hand, I find myself gravitating to it more & more everyday now that I have a hackintosh dedicated to it.

• 2 weeks later...
i like vista but i just wish it was as fast as XP and doesnt have those crappy "you need to have adminstrator priveledges" messages when I AM an administrator......oh and when a window is maximized it turns black and looks ugly.....why couldn't Microsoft make it glass as well?

Because windows turn black when they are maximized, I often just resize "restored down" Windows to fit the entire screen. I dont know if this is true, but is it possible that maximized application windows turn black so less resouces are used and more resources can be used by the application?