multicores ?

4 posts in this topic

will this new os take advantage of 8 cores? im building a system and was trying to decide to run dual intel core 2 extreme x6800 2.93 mhz

or dual intel Qx6700 quad cores (8 cores total)

either way ill overclock, but i read most windows people saying that not too much stuff takes advantage of multicores yet. but i know apple has the new macpro or whatever that had dual quads so id figure os x 10.4 or 10.5 would take advantage of them. if not please give me yor input.

will this new os take advantage of 8 cores? im building a system and was trying to decide to run dual intel core 2 extreme x6800 2.93 mhz

or dual intel Qx6700 quad cores (8 cores total)

either way ill overclock, but i read most windows people saying that not too much stuff takes advantage of multicores yet. but i know apple has the new macpro or whatever that had dual quads so id figure os x 10.4 or 10.5 would take advantage of them. if not please give me yor input.

Yup even 10.4.x supports 8 cores as the new Mac Pros can be configured with 8 cores.

BUT

The processors you've listed are desktop socket 775 processors, and they are not useable in dual socket configurations.

You would need to use the equivalent XEON procs, like the E53xx processors. Only the server/workstation motherboards have dual socket arrangements, and they are socket 771. The X6800 and QX66xx series will not fit.

so im basically looking at any xeon clovertown then right? or are there newer xeons out that are quads and are not clovertown?

Right now if you need to go 8 cores in a machine, I believe the only xeon quads are the clovertowns. They are the E53xx series of chips. Only these chips can be used in a dual socket arrangement, as on an Intel S5000 server board.

The other Quads, like the Q6600, are desktop socket 775 chips, and are only available for single socket 775 boards, like the Intel D965 or D975 series.