Choice of OS X DVD & hardware

4 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Well if this just don't beat all. I had a B&W Mac years ago (it was my first computer) and moved to a pc. I have been dying to get back and I now see that it may be possible to install OS X on my pc. Who knew? I am pumped.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1) I have been looking for the install DVDs for 10.4.8. I was trying to keep costs down so I am looking for sellers other than Apple. First, is this legal? Also, I keep seeing disks for a Macbook. Is the version of OS X for a Macbook compatable with a desktop PC?

2) I would like to run OS X with my available hardware if possible. I am looking at 10.4.8.

I am running a Chaintech CT-9CJS mainboard with an Intel 875P - ICH5R chipset. This chipset is on the list while there is no listing for Chaintech motherboards though.

I have an Intel 2.4 ghz Northwood socket 478 CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2 instructions. This seems to be a go as well. The glitch may be that I have overclocked the chip to 3 ghz using pc4000 memory. I can always drop it down and go to PC3200 memory. I doubt that it would impact my system much.

I am running dual channel 1 gb PC4000 memory at 3-4-4-8.

This board has an Envy 24 sound chip. I can't find a listing for it. Anybody know about compatability? I can always disable it and add a compatable soundcard if necessary.

Here is a big one. I don't want to have to re-install XP on my sytem and partition my drive. I have 2 internal 120 gb hard drives and one external 160 gb. I would like to dual boot. Is it possible to put OS X on one drive and Windows XP on another and dual boot?

I have an ATI 9550 256 mb video card running a dual monitor system. This one may have to be changed as it looks like it is not compatable. I would like to stick with ATI is possible, what cards are most compatable if any?

I really appreciate the help. If I haven't covered enough detail please ask.

Thanks,

Chuck

Ok I will reply...

1) I have been looking for the install DVDs for 10.4.8. I was trying to keep costs down so I am looking for sellers other than Apple. First, is this legal? Also, I keep seeing disks for a Macbook. Is the version of OS X for a Macbook compatable with a desktop PC?

Well you will see (on these torrent sites and whatnot), CRACKED versions of OS X and non-patched, regular versions. Both are illegal. We're all pirates here. The cracked/patched types (jas,myzar etc) are for regular pc's. The normal versions are for macs. Normal Mac os x install disks won't work on a pc.

) I would like to run OS X with my available hardware if possible. I am looking at 10.4.8.

I am running a Chaintech CT-9CJS mainboard with an Intel 875P - ICH5R chipset. This chipset is on the list while there is no listing for Chaintech motherboards though.

I have an Intel 2.4 ghz Northwood socket 478 CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2 instructions. This seems to be a go as well. The glitch may be that I have overclocked the chip to 3 ghz using pc4000 memory. I can always drop it down and go to PC3200 memory. I doubt that it would impact my system much.

I am running dual channel 1 gb PC4000 memory at 3-4-4-8.

This board has an Envy 24 sound chip. I can't find a listing for it. Anybody know about compatability? I can always disable it and add a compatable soundcard if necessary.

Here is a big one. I don't want to have to re-install XP on my sytem and partition my drive. I have 2 internal 120 gb hard drives and one external 160 gb. I would like to dual boot. Is it possible to put OS X on one drive and Windows XP on another and dual boot?

I have an ATI 9550 256 mb video card running a dual monitor system. This one may have to be changed as it looks like it is not compatable. I would like to stick with ATI is possible, what cards are most compatable if any?

I really appreciate the help. If I haven't covered enough detail please ask.

All the answers to your questions are on this forum, or on the wiki, here at http://wiki.osx86project.org/.

But I will help you anyway ;)

The motherboard should work, if the chipset works, that's what matters. The cpu will work, but ideally you want to get an sse3 intel processor. They work the best. SSE2 works only through emulation and is thus slower (particularly with rosetta)

Graphics cards that work well include the ati 1xxx series (1600, 1650, 1800,1900,1950), as well as many nVidia cards via titan/natit. Check the wiki for the 9550.

Overclocked cpu's work, dual booting works with many different methods... You can install on seperate partitions and hard drives, if you so wish.

Don't know about your sound card.

Anyway, good luck, cheers!

Thanks for the info. I am new to this and I need all of the help that I can get. The chipset seems to be covered as is the ATI 9550 video in the hardware compatability guides. The 9550 is spotty, it works for some and not for others. The sound card will be problematic I think.

My main concern is the dual booting using different drives. I basically want to leave my XP install alone and install OSX on my second drive and dual boot. I can't seem to find any info on booting from 2 different drives or is this the same as partitioning a single drive? Do I need to go into the BIOS and change the boot drive to reboot in each operating system or is there a more elegant way? I have read something about Darwin, but as of yet I don't quite understand it.

Anyway, thanks