How can I install ONLY Windows Vista on an iMac?

TvvqKMZ72bsklauw5

25 posts in this topic

Howdy, I want to know how I can uninstall my Mac OS X partition and ONLY have Windows Vista as my OS on my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo. Can I use Boot Camp to install Windows Vista, remove the Mac Partition, and then restore my drive to one partition?

Would this be a bad idea or not?

I bought a Mac when I thought that Mac OS X was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then over time I realized that it didn't have the wide variety of applications that I liked to use. Plus things were much slower to run on Macs than I realized. When I used Windows Vista for the first time (original Beta) I thought it was pure {censored}. Later seeing it improve, I thought it looked great.

So, in short. Instead of going out to buy a computer that had equal or better specs than my iMac, I decided to just keep my iMac, wipe my Mac partition, and install Windows Vista Home Premium.

And that's what I did.

I bought a Mac thinking that the Mac OS was all I would ever need. I was wrong. I seem to prefer Windows Vista than Mac OS X. Not saying one is better over the other, but every person has an OS that they like and are used to. I started with Windows, went to Mac, and ended back to Windows.

I do, however, prefer the Mac hardware even if it is a bit pricey. I mean, I've got an iMac with a 20" screen built-in, WiFi built-in, iSight camera, etc. If I was to go out and buy a new computer, I would need those items (well, maybe not the WiFi). The iMac is a computer all itself and it doesn't have a huge cable mess to deal with. I may not be able to upgrade the hardware (Video card, processor, etc.), but it will keep me going for the next 2-3 years depending on how technology goes.

As for dual-booting, I'm a one OS guy. It's either Windows or Mac, not both.

being a 1 OS guy..... that doesnt make sense :S

Lol, I feel the same way :) . I see where coolmatt49 is coming from though, but when I use OS X its with Windows (although atm Windows is primary since I dont have an Intel mac). Coolmatt49, I can believe you went Vista only on an iMac but I cannot believe you actually like the iMac compared to a tower :P . Mac Desktops ftl.

• 2 weeks later...

I am running Vista Ultimate, XP, and OSX on Mac Pro with Nvidia 8800 GTX video card. As long as you have updated firmware, you can do fresh install of Windows without OSX or boot camp. It is easier with Mac Pro due to multiple internal HD bays, but it can still be done with iMac. If you do, I would suggest buying a second HD and save original HD with OSX for future firmware upgrade of iMac (or use it as external drive to dual boot). Please dont forget to make Boot Camp CD before proceeding (for Windows drivers purpose)

I've taken original HD with OSX out and replaced with new HD. During boot up, use Command-Option-Shift-Delete to bypass internal harddrive on boot and boot from internal CD drive (just remember to leave a Vista DVD in first).

I've formated HD to NTFS during Vista installation and performed clean Vista installation. Reboot as usual. Let Windows do update (it will update drivers and some will be newer than boot camp version of windows drivers). You can use Boot Camp CD for updating drivers that Vista fails to update. Few Mac specific stuffs (bluetooth, camera, and few keyboard functions) will be missing driver support at least as of Boot Camp 1.2 (I haven't tried Boot Camp 1.3 yet). At least for Mac Pro, additional missing drivers are for Intel chip (5000x), motherboard (s5000vxn) and LAN and need to be downloaded from Intel webpage.

I am running Dual Boot Vista (HD 1), XP (HD 2), and Data (HD 3) with VistaBootpro program. OSX HD is in bay 4 for future firmware update only (unfortunately I have to swap out Nvidia 8800GTX to Nvidia 7300GT card as OSX wont boot up with 8800GTX).

Please dont flame me for not running OSX as I've purchased Mac Pro for its nice hardware design and much lower price compare to similar spec Dell workstation.

That's a {censored}!!!! OS X is the best thing that has ever happend to my computer life. And the god damn clone called Vista is prefered???? What a """". I just can't work this out. Is it possible not to love OS X!?

Anyway, here's my little rant, just to add to the chorus... But really, it's your decision. If you prefer Vista, that's cool...

That's a {censored}!!!! OS X is the best thing that has ever happend to my computer life. And the god damn clone called Vista is prefered???? What a """". I just can't work this out. Is it possible not to love OS X!?

Agreed!

I just used Vista last night on a friends new laptop. Home premium. Can't say I like it. And the little animations etc, a rip-off of mac. Tries to do the mac thing, but just ends up being intrusive and slow (pop up thumbnails = annoying)

Case in point : Flip3d - > Cool looking, but pretty useless, really just eye-candy

Expose > Cool looking, exceedingly useful. Typically minimalist.

If you need to run windows, that's what VM's are for.

If you're not a MAC

You're a {censored}

Agreed!

Ok I'm all done now.

I love OS X. It works flawlessly. It's beautiful and it's stable. And that's my problem with it. I like to tinker, like to fix things, and OS X just doesn't offer that because it's so well built. I like having to fuss with Windows and such to make things work, which is why it's usually my main OS. OS X just doesn't offer the same experience for me. It's perfect out of the box, which while fun to play with for a while gets boring pretty quick. I'm running Vista on my Macbook right now. When Leopard comes out, I'll buy it, play with it for a couple months, then switch back to Windows. OS X is perfect if you have to use your computer to make your living because you don't have to worry about malware, crashes, compatability, corruption, but for a tinkerer like me...nyeh.

Kroeger,

You need to buy two cables from http://www.welovemacs.com/9227128.html . They are $30 each so total cost is $72 with shipping/tax. It is same cable Apple uses to power Quadro card in Mac Pro. I couldn't find any other venders but I am sure there are more as it is standard Apple accessory. Its part number is #922-7128. 8800GTX needs those two additional power cables from PCI to work (dont worry, Mac Pro's power supply is way more than 8800GTX's power needs). 8800GTS will only need one cable.

I suggest that you keep your original card as you wont be able to boot into OSX with 8800GTX for future OSX firmware upgrade(you need to swap it with other card). So if you are planning to use OSX often, it may not be best option. Even if you are not planning to use OSX, you need to keep up with Apple firmware, just like BIOS upgrade.

If you ask me, this Mac Pro is the best Windows workstation I own (I have couple other Dell Precision workstations) hands down and costs a lot less then similar Dell. With new Boot Camp 1.3, it even solved ACPI driver problem under Vista. Only down side is that boot time is about 5 secs slower than Dell Precision due to Bios/EFI layer.

Let me know if you need anything else. Enjoy your new best Windows workstation!

Regards,

Kroegger,

You attach two cables to PCI power pins on mother board and to 8800GTX. You cannot miss it. I find it easier to attach two cables to mother board and install 8800GTX into PCI-E 16 first. Attach cables to 8800GTX at the end as installing 8800GTX isn't too easy due to its size.

Follow this Apple instruction http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_CT...icsCard_DIY.pdf It is pretty similar.

Regards,

a one OS kinda guy?!?! its not women we're talking about here... Its data.. how does one OS work for anyone... i run OS X, win xp, ubuntu and SUSE

deleting mac is not cool, coolmatt

and therefore you are neither cool.. nor can i call you matt as i feel you have brought shame to my given name

Plus things were much slower to run on Macs than I realized.

Often overlooked comment by coolmatt49.

Reviews and tests have shown that Intel based Macs perform pretty much in step with Windows based counterparts. (Small differences are negligible)

Hence the perception of speed often is derived from things like boot times, application boot times, and visual elements.

Many people argue about why little things like that matter, but this example shows that often to end users it does matter and it indeed does affect OS choice.

End users don't care that when XP starts it often churns away starting other services and is pretty much useless until ready. The desktop appears sooner and it gives the effect of being faster.

No need for people to post about how their OS X starts faster than XP, Vista, blah, blah, blah.

This is only an example and not the point. The point is perception is often more important to many users than actual substance.

So people will continue to argue these little things, like transparent menu bar for example,, and in the grand scheme of usability they may not mean much, but often they can have a much more key in developing perceptions to end users.

OS X is perfect if you have to use your computer to make your living because you don't have to worry about malware, crashes, compatability, corruption, but for a tinkerer like me...nyeh.

If that's what makes you happy; I can hardly believe that you would consciously seek out bugs and incompatibility so that you'll have something to fix, and that you have no better use for your time.

Why is it so hard to believe? Would you tell a guy who buys a junker car and spends months and months fixing it up crazy, or wonder if he has nothing better to do with his time? It's a hobby, and it's enjoyable, and since I rely on my computer for entertainment and not business, it works fine.

If that's what makes you happy; I can hardly believe that you would consciously seek out bugs and incompatibility so that you'll have something to fix, and that you have no better use for your time.

Although it is hard to believe, as a long time ex-Gentoo user you'd be surprised how many people love hands on, problem solving kind of "projects".

I know, its a sickness. Thankfully I'm through that stage of my life. ;-)

Why do you guys continue to bash Coolmatt49?

It is his choice which OS to run on his computer. Isn't Apple a hardware company as well as software company? Apple is happy to sell hardwares to people who plan to run Windows OS only (as it is $ in their coffer) as well as selling OS. It is a new revenue for the company. It is clear that Apple can not survive only on OS revenue and clearly needs revenue from hardware sale (ie, iPod, Mac, and soon to be iPhone) to prosper. Remember the "Power Computing" mac-clone experiment from 90's? Apple clearly needs hardware business.

If guys like Coolmatt49 or myself who wouldn't purchase Mac computer (due to work or lack of specific application) before but now purchase Apple hardwares, it only helps Apple in long run. Heck every Apple hardware sale includes OS sale even if end-users dont use OSX.

Any short sighted approach to preach "only OSX on Apple hardware or you are heretic!" seems... umm... simple minded...

I am prepared to be flamed on... Let me see if I can borrow a fireman's suit...

• 2 weeks later...
Kroeger,

You need to buy two cables from http://www.welovemacs.com/9227128.html . They are $30 each so total cost is $72 with shipping/tax. It is same cable Apple uses to power Quadro card in Mac Pro. I couldn't find any other venders but I am sure there are more as it is standard Apple accessory. Its part number is #922-7128. 8800GTX needs those two additional power cables from PCI to work (dont worry, Mac Pro's power supply is way more than 8800GTX's power needs). 8800GTS will only need one cable.

I suggest that you keep your original card as you wont be able to boot into OSX with 8800GTX for future OSX firmware upgrade(you need to swap it with other card). So if you are planning to use OSX often, it may not be best option. Even if you are not planning to use OSX, you need to keep up with Apple firmware, just like BIOS upgrade.

If you ask me, this Mac Pro is the best Windows workstation I own (I have couple other Dell Precision workstations) hands down and costs a lot less then similar Dell. With new Boot Camp 1.3, it even solved ACPI driver problem under Vista. Only down side is that boot time is about 5 secs slower than Dell Precision due to Bios/EFI layer.

Let me know if you need anything else. Enjoy your new best Windows workstation!

Regards,

Kroegger,

You attach two cables to PCI power pins on mother board and to 8800GTX. You cannot miss it. I find it easier to attach two cables to mother board and install 8800GTX into PCI-E 16 first. Attach cables to 8800GTX at the end as installing 8800GTX isn't too easy due to its size.

Follow this Apple instruction http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_CT...icsCard_DIY.pdf It is pretty similar.

Regards,

Thanks chocomonsters, really informative post.