Does Chain0 still work? I'm having a little problem

ju5th3r3

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

First of all let me say thanks for a great forum!! I did my first OS X86 installs without asking any questions by following tutorials and post here. Thanks seadonkey, JAS,and others for the 1210 xps tutorial works like a charm. I've used the F8 trick to get to my windows partition on my 1210xps but now I'm installing os x86 on my other laptop which worked out great. But I really need this laptop to default to the nt bootloader. I downloaded chain0 followed the instructions, everything worked great until I made windows partion active then chain0 just keeps going back to the ntbootloader screen when I select "mac osx". But if the OS X partition is active and I press F8 then pick my nt partition and the ntbootloader comes up, if I pick "mac osx" it works fine as long as the osx partition is active. I'm stumped. Please help... JAS 10.4.8 sse2/sse3 then updated to 10.4.9 but still running semthex 8.8.1 kernel(still questioning that kernel update also, I irc'ed but I got one from the header in #1049 and then also got one from the kernelbot, which one do I use?). sorry for the double question but figured I throw in all the information.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp. I searche chain0, bootloader, etc... but never got an answer to the problem I'm having.

Thanks again,

ju5t h3r3

OSX's darwin bootloader boots the active partition by default, unless one selects something else in the menu.

Firstly, go to the osx86 wiki article Messing with the boot options, and particularly to the section "Speed up Darwin's timeout count-down", so that you get to darwin's menu more easily without having to press F8.

Now, using chain0, when you select osx, the nt loader will pass the buck to the darwin loader... who will chose the active partition by default... which is your original windows(!), and the buck is passed back to nt loader...

If you make the above tweak, you'll at least get the darwin menu so you can have time to select OSX.

There are alternatives, like GRUB or WinGrub, which takes charge of booting everything and make active the partition of the selected OS; and there is also Acronis OS Selector, which does the same but which isn't free. There are also other bootmanagers that can do all this.

The simplest solution (to keep windows as default boot) would be to stick with the chain0 method, with the above fix from the wiki.