Replacing a Macbook Pro HDD

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm currently using a fully equipped PC next to my Macbook Pro mainly because of the larger screen it has and because there are a few things I need Windows for. Now the PC actually belongs to my dad and a friend of mine had this nice setup with his MBP connected to 23" Apple Cinema Display and a set of speakers and so on. So the plan eventually is to get a Cinema Display and all the extra's to use my Macbook Pro like I use my PC now.

Now ofcourse my Macbook Pro is completely capable of running Windows under Boot Camp or Parallels, although I'm not satisfied with the 120GB 5400rpm HDD that is currently in it. So I'm now looking around for the possibility to upgrade to a 7200rpm with a larger storage capacity.

So I wonder if any of you could share his/her experience on replacing HDDs in Macbook Pros (or perhaps Powerbooks, however I'm not familiar with how the internal hardware design is compared to the MBP). Also I know from my own experience that not all notebook HDDs have the same layout in the way they are mounted. The HDD I'm currently interested in is the Seagate Momentus 7200.2 (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/momentus/momentus_7200.2/).

I know this probably isn't the easiest of issues to answer to, but nonetheless I hope there is someone that has experience with this sort of thing.

Thank you!

- Fluc

Awesome thanks.

Meanwhile a friend of mine got me in touch with a guy that works with a certified Apple technician. Those guys set up a little company that repairs both PC and Mac computers. Now since this guy is a certified technician he might be able to change my harddrive for me, so I still keep my warranty. It's all not sure tho, the guy said he would have a look at the possibilities and he's gonna call me back sooner or later.

I have a CoreDuo Macbook Pro and a Powerbook G4. I've replaced the HD in the Powerbook using the ifixit guides. Not a problem, just not as easy as replacing a drive in a regular PC.

As the Macbook Pro is only 1" thick, the drive must be 9.5mm in height, and SATA. Most drives for current laptops are, but there are a few that are 10.5mm in height, such as the first generation 200gb vertical recording ones. These will not fit in a Macbook Pro.

The Drive you point to in your post indicates that it is 9.5mm in height, so it should work correctly.

Thanks for the info.

Meanwhile the first contacted person said he didn't want to do the job since he felt there is a too high risk of him messing up, fair enough. But he pointed out that there is in fact a store here in the NL that could do this for me as an official Apple Techcenter-thing, so including warranty. Although the guy said he only had 100GB 7200rpms available and that his supplier would probably get that 160GB Seagate by next month.