• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Swad

OS X Customization - The Application List

52 posts in this topic

What applications do you use to get that custom OS X look? Here are a few to get started:

ShapeShifter

CandyBar

These are a few that I've used in the past. What are your favorites?

@Mashugly

shapeshifter works now with 10.4.1 and 10.4.3 (the both builds)?

Here my ones:

Deskshade2

My Rating: :unsure::star_smile::angry::star_smile:

Notes: Application for storing and applying your desktops.

HimmelBar

My Rating: ;):star_smile:

Note: It is a very lightweight (and free) application launcher, but not x86 binary maybe run slows.

TigerLauncher

My Rating: :(:star_smile::o

Note: Same as HimmelBar, but it's x86 intel binary and runs great

Konfabulator

My Rating: :star_smile::star_smile::star_smile::star_smile::star_smile:

Note: Don't like the apple dashboard? No problem, thats a nice replacement choice

Tune

Note: iTunes Controller in your menu bar, great choice :)

Pixadex

My Rating: :star_smile::star_smile::star_smile::star_smile:

Note: Icon Management, auto drag n drop image 2 icon, safe organize and improve your icon library.

TransparentDock

My Rating: :star_smile::star_smile::star_smile:

Note: Customizing the dock the way you want it (should works on 10.4.3, i never test it)

Synergy

Note: The Best of iTunes Control menu (Request on their page the x86 binary)

Quicksilver

Note: Don't like the spotlight? Here's your new launcher.

Cocktail

Note: This have some hidden features, like: put the dock on end position and more.

ThemeChanger

Note: Actually it's don't work very well for us and this software is a little buggy (not the compilation)

Guikit2Dlta

Note: When or If you get themechanger working 100%, this handle be nice to convert .guikit themes to use in it.

Guikitty

Note: A tool to dissasembly the .guikit themes, so you can use it to convert to dlta or mod in themepark

ThemePark

Note: A tool to mod rsrc themes, you can edit, mod and build your own theme as guikit or dlta, good one :)

Menu Calendar Clock

Note: I personally preffer it than original callendar and clock, that's looks like "LClock" for windows.

I won't put the unsanity products here because they don't work as well for me <_<

ShapeShifter didn't work for me :): . I use build 1111f. It installs but can't run. A message warning appears

Any other alternatives for changing themes on OS X X86?

I absolutely despise ShapeShifter. It killed my install for no apprent reason, although I was completelyy upgraded and was supported by the program. I lost a lot of information, and couldn't reinstall myself because I needed the files on the system. Had to go to an Appletech and pay 90 bucks USD to have them back everything up, reinstall the OS, then put everything back on.

Bleh, what a headache.

I couldn't live without himmelbar. Seriously. That's one app that everyone should install and I've not had a problem with it slowing down at all.

Himmelbar is an x86 binary, maybe it was not when first posted.. runs great.

Yeah, very handy! Good find! :(

Wow man awesome-o find

As a launcher I preffer XMenu. Unfortunately it's not universal binary, but at least it doesn't mix the application folders.

I'm gonna try these.. thanks guys look foward for more of the best .. Damn they are like 9/10 shareware lol

I would like to set the transparency of some windows (e.g. VLC): does it is out any tool to make it quickly and safety?

Thanks!

UNO

It gets rid of all that horrible polished metal or whatever that metallish {censored} is. Everything looks 20x better. Only downside is that it makes your spotlight icon and the Apple icon in the menubar a little smaller. I don't know why :happymac:

Link: http://gui.interacto.net/

How do I install icons using CandyBar

Also in finder or Desktop, Ctrl Click or Right Click on Icon or Program then Copy.. then Ctrl / Right Click, Go Get info on Item of which you wish to assign new icon.. and click the little icon preview in top left of info window and Paste..

Could've been worded better, bit tipsy.. Lol.

Does anybody know of a program I can use to change icons for the hard drive and stuff? I mean a free program, not like ShapeShifter where the demo expires 5 days later.

Onyx is a free application that can tweak a lot of features in OS X that normally aren't customizeable.

Now the dock is no longer prohibited from going near the "almightly menubar." :)

CandyBar is cool. How bout a free program like ShapeShifter?

CandyBar is cool. How bout a free program like ShapeShifter?

Last time I checked, ShapeShifter wasn't free.