Apple TV on Hackintosh

ErEr

18 posts in this topic

Finally I have installed front row, on my hackintosh PC 10.4.8 with frameworks and backrow.app,

I see start up screen, screen saver, all menu also can quit. I control it with keyboard emu, but to do this I had to replace my previous keyboard with the apple wireless KB. Now what ı have is media folder is in my second hard disk. apple tv downloads trailers from internet. but ı cant get any content from my account. ı cont see apple tv from the same computer's Itunes, I cant authorize , because apple store is not available here. so how to sync all files from / users / me / movies / photos / music ?

any help ?

you have front row running, now on your hackintosh... how did you do it? ive been trying and trying and trying...

I had downloaded crimson mk apple tv.dmg, I only coppied frame works from them, allso finder.app, then I replaced the finder binary with the patched one. result was running application with no control, then I searched forums for emulating IR remote, I have found Bholland keyboardemu file. But the keyboard control was not so good, so I thought there might be some problem with my keyboard, so I bought original apple blootooth keyboard use it with a cheap dongle. this solved my problem. But as I told, the appletv did not show up in Itunes. After I searched I found that it is related with I tunes and authorization. Since the itunes store is not servicing here, I could nt succeeded, I only be able to get som files from my HD, and trailer , and I tunes song through internet thats all, I could not be able to sync files from my laptop to hackintosh. That is where I did quit.

N!CKA55,

Just search around, all you have to do is to download the official FrontRow package and use Pacifist to install. Then, use Bholland keyboardemu which can be found here: http://brandon-holland.com/irkeyboardemu.html

Once done. You need to go to the system preference to get one of the emu to unload. You could only use either IREmu or KeyboardEmu. I use KeyboardEmu and it works perfectly. If you fail to deactivate one of it, you will get double-key command, means, once keystroke will have double effect.

Hope it helps.

Matthew

• 3 weeks later...

Hey buddy, where did you get your file crimson mk apple tv.dmg ???

I'm searching to put apple tv on my hackintosh but i only have front row running 1.3 i think

thanks

^_^

I had downloaded crimson mk apple tv.dmg, I only coppied frame works from them, allso finder.app, then I replaced the finder binary with the patched one. result was running application with no control, then I searched forums for emulating IR remote, I have found Bholland keyboardemu file. But the keyboard control was not so good, so I thought there might be some problem with my keyboard, so I bought original apple blootooth keyboard use it with a cheap dongle. this solved my problem. But as I told, the appletv did not show up in Itunes. After I searched I found that it is related with I tunes and authorization. Since the itunes store is not servicing here, I could nt succeeded, I only be able to get som files from my HD, and trailer , and I tunes song through internet thats all, I could not be able to sync files from my laptop to hackintosh. That is where I did quit.

Hi,

Whenever I unload the IREmu, I lose access to the Keyboard controls under AppleTV. Is this related to the .0.3 version he just released. I really would like to use Backrow with my keyboard and the double-key commands make it hard to navigate. Please let me know what I need to do to get it to work.

Thanks!

N!CKA55,

Just search around, all you have to do is to download the official FrontRow package and use Pacifist to install. Then, use Bholland keyboardemu which can be found here: http://brandon-holland.com/irkeyboardemu.html

Once done. You need to go to the system preference to get one of the emu to unload. You could only use either IREmu or KeyboardEmu. I use KeyboardEmu and it works perfectly. If you fail to deactivate one of it, you will get double-key command, means, once keystroke will have double effect.

Hope it helps.

Matthew

• 1 month later...

Hmm I tested the installer, worked without problems. I get the introduction video but after this it quits. FrontRow was working without problems before. I'm using 10.4.7 + Quicktime 7.1.2 + iTunes 7.3.2 (AGP SSE2 System)

naquaada, BrumBrum74> The error is caused by aTV searching for media content on a drive that is non existing. You need to manually hex edit a file to make it point to the right path... I can't remember exactly how I did it though.

helios -> I had patched the file. The file's full name:

System/Library/PrivateFrameWorks/Backrow.framework/Versions/A/BackRow

You have to set the permissions to read/write and edit on position e03e0 the entries disk0s4.disk0s4 to disk<your disk id>. You can get your disk id with the disk utility. The first entry is for the AppleTV program and the 2nd for the data disk, it creates a folder 'Media' in the root of the disk. But I don't know if its possible to have different drives for BackRow. Save the file and reset permissions to original state. By the way: you need to have the Remote Daemon of RB Hollands IRKeyboardEmu activated. I always deactivate it cause I use an original Apple Remote in combination with Mira. (Apple Remote = SUPERB)

But anyway, it isn't working. Sometimes it doesn't quit, it stays black all the time, no quit with Command-Q and so on. BackRow wants to force a HDTV resolution, I think 1280x768 @ 60 Hz or so which looks rather screwy on my 4:3 CRT monitor. On my 4:3 TFT which is connected via DVI it changes the resolution to 1280x960, but there I have correct aspect ratio (top and bottom are black). Ah, on my 2nd machine (with the CRT monitor) it killed the keyboard. Not the hardware, it worked in BIOS and after I restored the partition (with the full working Disk Utility of 10.4.7), and keyboard and so on was all working fine again.

Never mind. Would be cool to have also AppleTV functionality in my hackintosh (on plain old PC hardware muahahaha), but I don't know if I would need it at all. I have FrontRow and MediaCentral installed. If there's a better working version sometime, I'll test it again.

I am struggling too, but my roblem does not seem to be documented anywhere else... atv lods fine after patching etc... looks fancy with the intro and then the menu. however at the menu, i can't use the keyboard to control. i have installed irkeyboardemu but i still get no control. does anyone have any advice?

thanks

Change the drive info as told above in one of the posts, and now aTV works. Only problem is to get Sailing Clicker and using bluetooth through my mobile phone as a remote. I can use Sailing Clicker to control about everything else but BackRow on my OS X now.

Anybody have a clue on how to get this working?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...