Can't connect to OSX machine from Windows machine

17 posts in this topic

I seem to be having the opposite of most of the networking problems on this forum. I can successfully connect to the Windows machines in my house, I've even succeeded in printing from a shared printer. Despite this, I am still not able to connect to my OSX box through Windows. In system preferences I have enabled "Personal File Sharing" and "Windows Sharing". On the windows box I go to "start" -> "run" -> "\\192.168.1.103\Jeff"; the IP being my osx box and Jeff being the short of my account. I then receive an error saying "The specified network name is no longer available." I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

oops sorry for the double post of the topic

I seem to be having the opposite of most of the networking problems on this forum. I can successfully connect to the Windows machines in my house, I've even succeeded in printing from a shared printer. Despite this, I am still not able to connect to my OSX box through Windows. In system preferences I have enabled "Personal File Sharing" and "Windows Sharing". On the windows box I go to "start" -> "run" -> "\\192.168.1.103\Jeff"; the IP being my osx box and Jeff being the short of my account. I then receive an error saying "The specified network name is no longer available." I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

oops sorry for the double post of the topic

That's not enough. You have to place the PC and Mac into the same "workgroup" to actually share files.

But since I presume you sucessfully connect from OSX to your Windows Machine I presume that'll be okay. Also you HAVE to set a password on the Mac user Account. I've figured out by trail and error that Apple-accounts without passwords aren't accessable from the network.

ANyway to clarify matters.

You only have to enable "Windows file sharing" (to activate SAMBA) and printer sharing . Personal File sharing is only when sharing amongst Mac's (or other OSX computers) so in your case can be swithed off.

Then set in the Windows File sharing option which accounts can be shared to the Windows-box (the button Accounts). MAKE SURE THAT THAT USER ACCOUNT HAS A PASSWORD SET! <--- this is important otherwise Windows will NOT be able to logon.

To make the OSX-system part of a particular "Windows-workgroup" use the Directory Access program (Utilities --> Directory Access)

Unlock it to make changes, click on SMB/CIFS, click configure, type in the proper workgroup-name to logon to and click OK.

That should do the trick.

Cheers

There is another requirement that you must configure, you forgot to setup directory access mabye.

Try doing this:

go to application, and then

go to utilities, and then

go to directory access

unlock settings by clicking the podloack icon and enter your password, then

click SMB/CIFS and then click configure

windows workgroup name should be the same with mac os workgroup, therefore

under workgroup, enter your prefered workgrooup name, and click ok

exit...

go to your windows machine now and access \\192.168.1.103\Jeff

you will be prompted for user name and password, do it so.

Note: enabling windows file sharing is sufficient, if you only intend to network between mac and windows.

post-101620-1180587178_thumb.jpg

post-101620-1180587195_thumb.png

Thanks to you both for replying so promptly for helping out my situation. I did as you said, and configured my osx workgroup to be the same as my windows via directory access. The account is also password protected. Even after this, I was still not able to connect to my osx box via "start" -> "run" -> "\\192.168.1.103\Jeff". However I did notice something that I hadn't before. When using my windows box and I go to "My Network Places"; on the left side of the window is the option to "View workgroup computers". When I clicked that, I could see my osx box along w/ my other windows box located in my workgroup. When I double clicked on my osx box i received the error:

\\Jeff is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available.

If either of you two, or anyone else has any thoughts on this topic, I would be grateful. Thanks again in advance!

-Jeff

Try to ping your osx machine from your windows mahchine.

In your case, ping 192.168.1.103.

It it say 0% loss, then you osx machine is reachable from your wndows machine, and probably there is another issue regarding software settings that is preventing you from accessing osx.

Also check your osx firewall.

If your osx machine is pingable from windows, then try this again...

Go to My Network Places. Type in the address bar "\\192.168.1.103\Jeff" and press enter. Lets see what it may does for you.

Also make sure that in your osx, windows sharing menu is on. Double check it.

And also check directory access setting, SMB/CIFS should be enabled.

And check in your osx box and make sure that you logged in as Jeff,

eeeeeyea, I'm getting 0% loss, but still no dice. ^_^

Windows sharing is on, SMB/CIFS is enabled and configured to the correct workgroup, and i'm logged in as Jeff. I can see the osx box, but just can't get in...

Is it possible that my software is messed up? I haven't mentioned that last week I replaced my AppleSMBIOS.kext with a different one in order to get Adobe CS3 working. It's strange because like I said, I can connect to my Windows boxes, I don't understand why the reverse isn't possible. blehh, thanks for your help again!

-Jeff

My preferences screen looks exactly like your screenie, and typing the address in my explorer bar yielded the same result. But here's one...

I rebooted into my Windows drive, enabled sharing, made sure I was in the same workgroup as the other Windows boxes on my network. My Windows boot was also using 192.168.1.103 as my osx drive. When I tried to connect to my Windows boot, using another Windows machine, I got the same result as if it were trying to connect to my OSX drive. It seems strange that I can connect to other Windows machines with a Windows machine, just not mine... What do you think this means? A possible router issue vs an issue with my box? Thanks again for your patience and help.

-Jeff

ok, please confirm this, are you trying to say that you were using dual boot of osx86 and windows

if so, boot windows and do the below instruction. dont know if this will give any help but just try it.

resolve first the networking problem between windows computers.

configure your network card using static ip on all machines.

create a folder share in computer A (for instance), click my network places, from the toolbar, click view - folder option - tick simple filesharing.

in computer B (for instance) access the shared folder of computer A, by typing in the run command "\\server\share". where SERVER is your computer name, and SHARE is the name of your created shared folder.

if you were successful, then your network will work with osx

note*** make sure that the computer accessing the shared folder must have client for microsoft networks enabled and file and printer sharing enabled from the lan properties settings.

tiight, it worked :] i had to get the files on my own because they wouldn't unzip from the file attached. but i followed the directions and all works well now :P i can connect from windows machine to osx and vice versa. thanks for all your help boinky as well as everyone else!

-Jeff

you have to rename the zip from the other thread to .sitx

and the extraction will work

but for some reason this havent fixed my problem with this, argh.

i dont care anymore an use ftp right now, this works :tomato: