Still waiting for root device after USB detection

poursoul

16 posts in this topic

I have searched and read enough to see that the "Still waiting for root device" error can be fixed by using different ATA drivers. My error is immediately after it detects the USB devices.

My question is, If my problem is still with the ATA driver, how do I load a different driver on the install DVD? AND can you point me in the direction (link) to the proper kext file. Please be EXPLICIT in your explaination.

Using 10.4.3 8f1099 Install DVD already patched.

Just as a heads up, I got the $400 HP laptop from Wal-Mart, and that is what I am having the issue with. I hope this thread will helpe many. :lol:

I don't think I portrayed myself correctly. I am not trying to install osx on a USB drive I am trying to install osx on a normal hard drive on a laptop. The installer is reporting "Still waiting for root device" immediately after the USB port detection during native installation.

P.S. I was able to circumvent the error earlier in the installation by removing the jumper on the hard drive which made it cable select.

Edited by poursoul

Ok

Doing even more digging myself I was able to find the suggestion that I use the argument "rd=disk0s1" also with the verbose command "-v"

This does get me further. Now I have the error :

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

nfs_boot: networking is not initialized

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xC02AE0F8): nfs_boot_init failed with 6

I have read enough to where some people blame the hard drive, and some people blame the DVD drive. Can anyone here just tell me what it really means?

You are having that problem because OSX 10.4.3 (both versions) doesn't have support for USB 2.0, so in order to fix that you must disable USB 2.0 on your bios, only USB 1.1 will work on 10.4.3.

I've been following these conversations.

I too amd getting the "Still witing for root device" error.

AMD 64 3700+ (SSE3)

1 GB DDR 400 RAM

Trying 120 GB and 20 GB HDD

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard

I have tried disabling USB, Firewire, NIC's, and it's still not working. I suppose my chipset may not be supported at this time, but the wiki shows others using it.

I've been following these conversations.

I too amd getting the "Still witing for root device" error.

AMD 64 3700+ (SSE3)

1 GB DDR 400 RAM

Trying 120 GB and 20 GB HDD

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard

I have tried disabling USB, Firewire, NIC's, and it's still not working. I suppose my chipset may not be supported at this time, but the wiki shows others using it.

Are you trying this via DVD?

After more testing, my onboard NVIDIA and my onboard Silicon SATA controllers both are not detected via the DVD installer.

Perhaps investing in a cheaper "tested" ide controller may not be a bad idea, but i'm also testing some experimental ideas by transfering KEXT files from the Darwin install ISO to the MAC install ISO. Worth a shot.

After more testing, my onboard NVIDIA and my onboard Silicon SATA controllers both are not detected via the DVD installer.

Perhaps investing in a cheaper "tested" ide controller may not be a bad idea, but i'm also testing some experimental ideas by transfering KEXT files from the Darwin install ISO to the MAC install ISO. Worth a shot.

If you are using the 10.4.3 DVD Install don't do that, the Darwin Install ISO has kexts compatible with version 10.4.1

If you had the ISO of 10.4.3 read Jas posts about his patches