modem for quad boot macbook

plugwash

7 posts in this topic

I'm planning to buy a macbook and set it up as a quad boot with OSx + 32 bit debian + 64 bit debian + windows XP (i plan to get arround the partition count limit by using LVM for the linux installs).

Unfortunately i belive i may end up stuck with dialup for a while soon so i'm looking for a modem that can be used on all the above operating systems, prefferablly as cheaply as possible.

any advice?

Buy one of those old serial modems and use a SERIAL->USB thing. They will guaranteed work, They work with any Generic V90/K56 Drivers. I have two.

slightly unrelated advice, but use an MBR to get around the partitioning restrictions. OS X's installer stops installing to an MBR, but that doesnt mean you cant clone it, format the drive with an MBR and move it back... PM me if you have any issues.

also, why 32 and 64 bit Debian?

are there any instructions for doing an OSx clone reformat to MBR and restore? are there any gotyas in doing it.

also what about the EFI boot partition? won't doing what you suggest eliminate that possiblly causing firmware update issues?

I have only tried this with a triple boot system, so I honestly dont know because the EFI partition was still there. Doesn't an MBR allow for more than 4 partitions as long as only 4 are primary?

the MBR partition table system supports 4 primary partitions, one of theese partitions (any one afaict) can be used as an "extended partition" which in turn can contain an unlimited number of logical drives.

my understanding is that boot camp uses some form of hybrid partition table that has both MBR and EFI tables but it does not support extended partitions. I belive it is possible to create extra EFI partitions with some tools but doing so can leave the MBR table in an inconsistant state unless the user is very carefull.

Is the procedure you used to migrate OSX to a pure MBR partion table documented anywhere?

• 4 weeks later...