kernel panic before install :/

thisredbox

7 posts in this topic

after hours of searching i still cant figure it out...

ive got jas' 10.4.8 sse2/3 with patch 1 and 2 - problem is...i cant even get to the install screen.

i hit enter to install and i get a kernel panic. ive noticed some people having issues with a couple of pieces of hardware that im running, specifically: msi board (k9 neo) and my amd dual core (which i cant figure out/find anyone who has figured out how to disable a core {ive read that might help?} on an msi board...ive searched all through the bios). and also with my sata hd. its my only hd (other than my external but thats for music etc.)

goals? well, i ideally would run a dual-boot with xp or vista (if i can finally find a crack that works...) although if i can get it working i could just run the osx86 if that woudl solve anything...

any help would be appriciated! ;)

Couple questions...

Are you running in verbose mode? If so what do you get?

Have you tried cpus=1 kernel flag?

Have you tried TubGirl disc?

Full(ish) hardware configuration?

Stevo

running:

msi k9 neo (nvidia nforce 500) board

amd athlon 64 x2 dual 4200+ 2.21 ghz

e-geforrce 7600 gt ko video

1 gig of ram

250 gig external usb drive

250 gig internal sata hd

ive tried cpus=1 (still hangs before install but hangs BEFORE kernel panic), tried running in s and v, still panics. tried platform=acpi, still didnt work. tried to disable s.m.a.r.t. and acpi but then i get a error about not finding the drivers for the platform: acpi, and it locks up. nowhere in the bios can i find a way to disable a core. i havent tried tubgirls yet, trying not to waste hours downloading and dvds until i know if its incompatabilit with between the osx and the hardware or just between that particular distro and the hardware.

any thoughts? :(

Well, my thoughts are the following:

1) Check to make sure that you have the latest BIOS

2) Go through your BIOS and turn off features that you UNDERSTAND what they are and know you don't need (e.g. serial port)

3) Strip unnecessary peripherals for the install.

4) Temporarily use a different graphics card if you have one for the install.

5) Try TubGirl's install disc.

It seems that your install disc doesn't like something about your hardware. So, since you can't get to a terminal to try any possible work arounds and kernel flags have not worked, you'll have to change your hardware or your install disc. Try to make sure that your hardware is in the most basic configuration possible for the install, then once successful, start adding stuff that you want back. Then if things go awry you'll know what caused it. TubGirls install is targeted toward AMD machines. I would guess that would be your best bet. You could also try Uphucks 10.4.9 install disc. In the case of the later, the kernel is new and so are some of the kexts. Different would probably be good for this problem.

Stevo

im downloading tubgirls 10.4.8 and the 10.4.9 update at the moment. i did try with an old pata drive and that still didnt work. it seems the first error message (i.e. the one causing the problem) is this:

"started cpu 01

panic (cpu caller 0x0019dacb): copy_window_init: cpu> num_cpus"

im assuming thats the dual core messing it up...

*just updated my bios and drivers for the amd, etc. - still not working though...

gonna try some hardware workaround later this evening and see if that helps. good thing i still have an old sys to canabalize :)

Guest Ramm

Do you already have OS X installed? I noticed that if you do, and you hit "Enter" with the install disc in the tray, it boots up your existing OS X install with the kernel on the DVD, which always results in a panic.

Is that a 0x0019c352 Kernel Panic you normally get?

At least that's what I get from installing on a Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Brisbane) cpu and msi K9ng neo driven machine. I tried it with all kinds of macos distributions with no luck. Jas and Tubgirl 1048 too.