nvidia 7600GS under 10.4.9 (QE&CI Working) 1st Boot only

nendra

12 posts in this topic

Starnge problem here.

I've got my 7600 GS (AGP) to work (QE&CI) under 10.4.9 (Uphuck):

1. Copy Natit0.2 kext

2. Edit GeForce, NVDAResman, NVDANV40 kexts with device ID (0x02e110de)

3. Repair permissions

Rebooting

Screen goes "off"/Black for a while (let's say 30sec) before showing the desktop

Got QE & CI enabled (supported) - tested, seems ok

Didn't change any settings, rebooted -> Screen stay Off/Black and never "show" the desktop.

Any Idea ?

UPDATE:

Seems to be some "preferences files" that get screwed up -> if I restore an image (replacing old files but keeeping the new kexts) it's working (but still only for "one boot")

Any pointers at to wich file(s) may be modfied/screwed greatly appreciated, thanks

Try titan and try without editing the kexts

already done, it's even worse (_never_ load the desktop).

I've tried every single install method (titan, natit, .4.8, editing/no editing, etc) to get QE/CI to work.

The one described below is the only that (kinda) worked for QE/CI.

Since I've got it to work, I have every needed kexts/drivers setted up and loaded correctly, it's just some new permissions, new files or modifications that happens either on the 1st_boot (that make QE/CI works) or on the 2nd_Boot (that hangs on "black" screen).

have to investigate newly accessed files, still any advice welcome.

still trying to figure out what goes wrong (thanks I've done a MacRescue partition :(

I can tell you that it's not (cause I've copied o:

- Permissions on Kexts

- Kexts that get modified

- cache of the kext

- the content of /etc (yeah I start to try everything)

i'll start looking of other cached files, still appreciate any pointers.....

still not working what I've found is that when it works (aka first boot) Natit.kext is only loaded once (from -v verbose) after a reboot it's loaded twice (and hangs up).

any idea from *where* it could be loaded a second time ?

(already checked, caches, duplicate extension and rc file for kextload)

any help still welcome...

So i have an 7600gs agp too, my system is a sse2 machine, and after trying some methods like u..i can't get 10.4.9 working with qe/ci...maybe with the uphuck dvd, 'cause i was updating a jas 10.4.8 dvd

Any news from your side?

So i have an 7600gs agp too, my system is a sse2 machine, and after trying some methods like u..i can't get 10.4.9 working with qe/ci...maybe with the uphuck dvd, 'cause i was updating a jas 10.4.8 dvd

Any news from your side?

OK nice to know that I'm not alone :)

So you were not able to get QE working even on the "first" boot ?

Did you edit your GeForce kext (and maybe NV*40 and Resman) ?

On my side nothing new, I've tried again several stuff (none usefull) now that i'm getting a bit bored by this either I write a small script to compare files (md5) from *rebooted install* against *first boot* install or I'll simply install 10.4.8 and wait for fix/news

PS: also running SSE2

keep me in touch if you find something

Only use Natit if you need or want dual screens!

I use Titan or NVidiaEFI and AGPGart 2.1i and "never" have problems. You will need to boot with -f, you can type it every time or add it to boot.plist. :)

Thanks guy that does the job

Used nvidiaEFI (never able to get Titan to works) now it's working at every boot :P

but to answer your first question, yes i've planned to use dual screen that's why I get the Natit kext.

Now that everything is fine and stable I should have a look at to how setup nvidiaEFI with dual screen (if possible / planned update ?)

Thanks alot!