Super Sweet Super Thin MacbookPro.....Maybe?

U.C.

8 posts in this topic

This is an article posted over at MacNN. Considering, that Apple just patented an idea for a super thin notebook shell of magnesium. I think this fits the bill. If this is the new MacBook Pro............wow

A computer manufacturer is set to produce Intel's Metro ultraportable concept, according to sources in touch with BusinessWeek. The magazine claims that an unnamed builder will turn the prototype into reality later in the year. This would mark a radical departure from the company's traditional concepts, which are often shown at the company's in-house Developer Forums solely as inspirations for other manufacturers rather than direct blueprints.

Extra details about the Metro notebook have surfaced, the publication says, that may hint at its ultimate manufacturer. Created by the Oregon product design firm Ziba, the Metro achieves its record 0.7-inch thickness (slightly thicker than the Motorola RAZR V3) by using an entirely flash-based, solid-state hard drive in place of the conventional hard disk, freeing room for other components inside. The change would also improve battery life and would combine with a magnesium housing to weigh less than 2.3 pounds without an optical drive.

Communications would also be a specialty of the Metro. In reference form, the PC would include a hybrid wireless chipset that connects to both Wi-Fi as well as the wide-area WiMAX format. This would be ideal for business travelers and others who need access to the Internet regardless of where they may be, according to Intel's Patrick Lynch.

Ziba's example would also cater to women and constrant travelers with a flap that attaches magnetically to the notebook, adding a shoulder strap for carrying and protecting the main shell while providing basic information from the outside, such as a calendar, without consuming any extra power until the information changes.

While no company has shown an overt interest in the concept or is obligated to use all of its features in a final model, the development may heavily favor Apple, whose designs have increasingly stressed thin profiles and rounded edges similar to those of the Metro. A number of the hardware features also directly recall claims by analysts and other sources of a Mac subnotebook in the second half of 2007. That system would also use flash for some or all of its internal storage; the Metro also has a backlit keyboard for typing in the dark, a staple of today's 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro systems.

Source: http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/25/intel.metro.and.macs/

post-14713-1180118512_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1180118523_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1180118530_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1180118538_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1180119042_thumb.jpg

Guest Ramm

It seems to be running Vista; actually it is. However, the Apple laptop keyboard is unmistakable. That's either a concept, or running Boot Camp.

Actually I like the gold trim. It adds a touch of class and since this unit will be more expensive than traditional laptops that's exactly what you'd expect to see. However if Apple does make this I'm sure they will put their own spin on it :( The back lit keyboard is especially welcomed :2cents:

I dont think Apple would ever make their MB or MBP's look like this. Maybe they will keep the cream colored shell, but brown insides and gold trim, I dont think so. Probably would be Silver or White or Black. Though I love the compactness of the laptop. It is 15inches, but weighs only 2.3 Pounds. My 12-Inch Dell weighs 4.312 Pounds. I would love to have this notebook.

I personally don't think this is even close to an Apple design. This looks more like what Sony would do to its Vaio series. The gold trim is definately not Apple...and the front panel display?...again, not an Apple thing. I cant seem to pinpoint it...but it just does not seem like an Apple design to me. If Apple were to make an ultra-portable...it might or might not be as thin as this....but the design would definately be much better. I'm not saying this is a bad design..heck, its probably the best looking out of all the PC laptops now...but still, it just dosen't have that Apple look to it, no matter how I look at it, thats all. ^_^

That also looks like 1 of the ASUS laptops.. damn MBP thinner + black is sick