Conflicting: Guides vs Specs

22 posts in this topic

Mac is now launching with the Core 2 Duos (C2D) and in a few of the guides I was told to deactive one of the cores. I am running a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz, with 2 GB RAM and 250GB HDD. I'm not upset that the first time I tried I had to reformat it all and lose all my windows stuff, its all practice to getting it all down I guess :-P had back ups. Just pointing out that I'm not afraid to reformat and try again. Anyway I also have an ATI Radeon X1900GT graphics card and I havent found anything saying that card is compatible for Mac, is it?

The first time I attempted the Mac OS began the install, the screen dimmed and told me I needed to restart. Could that be from the incompatable video card?

All the guides say make a partition, Mac OS must go on primary. I have 2 seperate HDDs, 250 GB and 500GB. Can I just give Mac OS its own 250GB HDD while I use the 500GB for my Linux/XP dual? And what boot loader would be best for that setup with the indiviual HDD and dual 500GB? Is my C2D good to go or how do I deal with it?

Thanks to everyone who helps out or points me in the right direction, I really appreciate it.

Sanctus

*Edit: Ok... I have been looking for a while and cant figure this out. I have one of the tutorial videos and have read several guides and though I am following them Acronis will NOT create the 2 others partitions. The 2 semi-blue windows screens come up saying that the partions are being made and says 100% successful, it reboots and when it starts up windows, the partitions were never made and my windows partition is still the entire drive. Help?

Thanks everyone,

Sanctus

You have a lot of questions. haha. Guides are just that - guides. You don't have to follow them directly. You shouldn't have to disable one of the cores unless you aren't able to boot with both enabled. The word "primary" is kind of confusing, since you can have up to four primary partitions on one drive. Any operating system has to be on a primary partition, so you can (and must) have both Windows and OS X on a primary partition. You can put them on separate drives if you want. The X1900GT should work without any problems.

The 'disable the cores' tip is primarily aimed at mobile users. Some of the C2D chips in that line have problems running with both cores, but virtually all the desktop systems work fine with both cores. I've got a C2D 6400 and it's always run with both cores enabled.

Here's my setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz

2GB RAM

250GB SATA (80GB drive for testing)

Asus P5BW-LA (mobo)

ATI Radeon X1900GT

I have tried with 2 different releases of JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8. One having been released quite a while back and one released within the past month or 2. Neither work. I finally got Acronis to partition and hold the partitions after uninstalling and reinstalling twice. Previously it had been completing the partitions but when I checked they were not there. Anyhow, I have been following one of the tutorial videos and when it come time to install OS X 10.4.8 the screen goes grey and tells me something along the lines of

"You need to restart your computer, hold down the power button and press the reset button." in 5 different languages....

So is it my hardware? My Logitech G5 mouse wouldn't have anything to do with it right? I did replace it with a normal PS/2 mouse and it didn't make a difference. A friend suggested my video card :S

Thanks,

Sanctus

so I booted with the "-v" like you said. I wrote down most of what seemed important,

Extension "com.Apple.driver.AppleACPThermal" has no kernel dependency

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id' property

Extension "com.Apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" has no kernel dependency

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device....... ;)

So is any of that useful or is there a certain line I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Sanctus

which dvd are you using to install mac os?

please try booting mac os while the windows partition (or its entire drive) is unplugged or turned off (pull out the power cable). if this does not help, your mac partition is not set to active. read through the forums to find a fix for that. your disk util may have a problem, in which you could use windows to format the drive as well as to set it to an active partition. the answers are on the forum

Tried, you say read the forums and honestly I have spent hours doing so. One guide says one thing, another says another, people's posted issues dont seem to be quite the same as the one I am having... :tomato:

Anyway, I am using/have tried JaS 10.4.8 and the 10.4.8 with the 9 updatable. the first (older) disc seems more promising, last night I managed to get it to the apple logo with white back ground though it stayed there. Then I got it to Apple logo with white background and spinning circle of dots below the logo. I am trying to get into demonoid or get someone to give me an invite or a torrent for Uphucks as I am seeing better responses from his distribution... in short I am willing to try anything. If you wanted to review the full specs of my computer you can go to HP.com and look up the a1640n. I have the media card readers unplugged and a ATI Radeon x1900GTX installed. Only other modification to the original specs is a larger PSU.

Thanks,

Sanctus :blink:

There's a problem with guides, in that people don't write them to their specific hardware. Alot of times one guide says one thing because it was written by someone installing on an nForce-based AMD system, another a VIA-based AMD system, and another person writes something different entirely because they were using an Intel system with an Intel chipset. Each chipset has different levels of support. nVidia chipsets with the newer MCP southbridge can't use SATA for installation, which Intel chipsets have to be set to AHCI mode and *MUST* use SATA drives because the IDE port is a controller add-on. It's confusing as hell for someone coming along later and *almost* nobody who writes a guide takes that into account.

I've never heard of a P5BW-LA board, though I know it exists by some googling. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me what chipset you're using (which is by far the most important part for getting OS X installed), only that it's used in certain HP Pavilion machines. the P5B in its name tells me it's probably a P965 chipset. What that means is that you need to follow this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51364

The guide tells you what problems you'll have (which is amazing) and how to fix them. It's perfect in every way, at least for P965 boards and getting OS X installed and running. Your hardware particulars are up to you at that point (though usually it's not that bad, unless you have an Attansic ethernet controller, which won't work).

And you also need to have either a USB or SATA optical drive (SATA is all I could use with my machine which has a P5B-Plus) and an SATA hard drive. Is that 80GB you're testing with SATA? What about your DVD drive? Also, you MUST MUST MUST set the SATA ports to AHCI in the BIOS. That may mean reinstalling Windows XP as it doesn't have native AHCI support and requires a floppy. Vista does away with that floppy nonsense in general and does away with the AHCI issue in its entirety. Anything other than that just plain won't work and you'll get the waiting for root device message.

There's a problem with guides, in that people don't write them to their specific hardware. Alot of times one guide says one thing because it was written by someone installing on an nForce-based AMD system, another a VIA-based AMD system, and another person writes something different entirely because they were using an Intel system with an Intel chipset. Each chipset has different levels of support. nVidia chipsets with the newer MCP southbridge can't use SATA for installation, which Intel chipsets have to be set to AHCI mode and *MUST* use SATA drives because the IDE port is a controller add-on. It's confusing as hell for someone coming along later and *almost* nobody who writes a guide takes that into account.

I've never heard of a P5BW-LA board, though I know it exists by some googling. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me what chipset you're using (which is by far the most important part for getting OS X installed), only that it's used in certain HP Pavilion machines. the P5B in its name tells me it's probably a P965 chipset. What that means is that you need to follow this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51364

The guide tells you what problems you'll have (which is amazing) and how to fix them. It's perfect in every way, at least for P965 boards and getting OS X installed and running. Your hardware particulars are up to you at that point (though usually it's not that bad, unless you have an Attansic ethernet controller, which won't work).

And you also need to have either a USB or SATA optical drive (SATA is all I could use with my machine which has a P5B-Plus) and an SATA hard drive. Is that 80GB you're testing with SATA? What about your DVD drive? Also, you MUST MUST MUST set the SATA ports to AHCI in the BIOS. That may mean reinstalling Windows XP as it doesn't have native AHCI support and requires a floppy. Vista does away with that floppy nonsense in general and does away with the AHCI issue in its entirety. Anything other than that just plain won't work and you'll get the waiting for root device message.

Very good point Doug the Impaler, sorry i didnt take that into account, and sorry for being blunt on my previous response. sorry to say though i have no experiece with the mobo that you have thus renderes me rather useless in this circumstance. I hope one of the gurus would take note and help you out. all the best to you

Tried

Doug,

Here are the specs in full for my MOBO.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...028&lang=en

All of my drives run on SATA though I had not changed anything to AHCI. lol, that was never mentioned in ANY guide I read and I have read a ton, lol. I will read the guide you posted when I get off work tonight and tell you how it goes and if it works. The Chipset is Intel G965 not P so how is that going to conflict with the guide? Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH DOUG!! I have been waiting for a response like that for a long time and as for Tried, all is forgiven, lol, its cool, I am just looking for help and whatever form it comes in! :thumbsdown_anim:

Thanks,

Sanctus :thumbsup_anim: