Anyone Have SB600 SATA Support for ATI Chipsets

42 posts in this topic

@Chun-Nan

I don't want to take more of your time, you tried to help me. But as a last thing, can you tell me what modification you did to the AppleATIATA_test file? I only want to learn how to hack these files in order to do my own tests instead to answer people. If it's not too hard, can you teach me a little or tell me where can I look for information?

Thank you.

Hi jomateixa,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy with other stuff.

According to the source code from freebsd, IXP600 (SB600) & IXP700 (SB700) only have 1 PATA channel. Therefore, the AppleATIATA I revised will only create 1 PATA channel for IXP600 and IXP700 and it will only create the primary channel.

On AppleATIATA_test, I changed from creating 1 PATA channel to creating 2 PATA channels. However, it didn't slove your PATA device problem. (That is the main difference between the original one and the test one.)

I haven't found the reason why your PATA device didn't show up. Maybe it has something to do with the IOATAFamily you are using now. Do you know which IOATAFamily are you using now? (Are you using the retail Leopard install?)

I have turned on the debug info function. Hopefully, we can find out where it failed. If possible, post the dmesg result as a file here after trying it. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

AppleATIATA.debug.zip

Hi Chun-Nan,

You can only enable two PATA channels? Could I have the DVD drive connected to 3rd or 4th channel (if exist)?

Here you have the dmesg output and the IOATAFamily I'm using now (the one that comes with Leo4allv3), but I tested several others without result , for example the one provided here by blubbla http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry472484

Thanks!

dmesg_output.rtf

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

Hi Chun-Nan,

You can only enable two PATA channels? Could I have the DVD drive connected to 3rd or 4th channel (if exist)?

Here you have the dmesg output and the IOATAFamily I'm using now (the one that comes with Leo4allv3), but I tested several others without result , for example the one provided here by blubbla http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry472484

Thanks!

Hi jomateixa,

If possible, I need you to test these two AppleATIATA with the IOPCIFamily at the following the link.

Leopard:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=36060

Post the dmesg results as files here, especially the message like this:

[CH0] _tfCylLoReg: 12

[CH0] _tfCylHiReg: 0

[CH1] _tfCylLoReg: ff

[CH1] _tfCylHiReg: ff

Thanks.

Chun-Nan

AppleATIATA.legacy.zip

AppleATIATA.native.zip

In addition, can you find out what I/O port addresses are your PATA device using under other OS System, such as (0x1f0,0x3f4), (0x170,0x374), etc?

Hi Chun-Nan, here are the files.

Ok I will try to find the I/O PATA addresses, but I really don't know how to do it yet. I will try a dmesg into Debian.

Cheers

Hi jomateixa,

Thanks for the file. That is interesting. On dmesg_legacy.rtf, it showed two CH0 values. Maybe that is the reason why PATA devie didn't show up, the second values overrides the first values.

If possible, can you try to find out if it shows two CH0 values everytime while using legacy one? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi jomateixa,

Thanks for the file. That is interesting. On dmesg_legacy.rtf, it showed two CH0 values. Maybe that is the reason why PATA devie didn't show up, the second values overrides the first values.

If possible, can you try to find out if it shows two CH0 values everytime while using legacy one? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Thanks Chun-Nan,

You mean rebooting and seeing if CH0 values are ever the same?

Here the Debian dmesg file with addresses and IRQ values.

------ EDIT -------

My opinion is that DVD PATA device is connected to ATA channel 1 but the driver only search in channel 0 (the last CH0=ff values you're talking about appears at the end of kernel boot, just at the same point as when I get the SearchingDrives pointer little-hang). If you see the debian_dmesg file, you will notice that PATA drive is at the line after the string ata5.01

--------------------

dmesg_debian.txt

Thanks Chun-Nan,

You mean rebooting and seeing if CH0 values are ever the same?

Here the Debian dmesg file with addresses and IRQ values.

------ EDIT -------

My opinion is that DVD PATA device is connected to ATA channel 1 but the driver only search in channel 0 (the last CH0=ff values you're talking about appears at the end of kernel boot, just at the same point as when I get the SearchingDrives pointer little-hang)

--------------------

Hi jomateixa,

Thanks for the file. That is even more interesting. According to dmesg_debian, your PATA device is using ctl 0x3f6 instead of ctl 0x3f4.

Please try this AppleATIATA with the IOPCIFamily posted on Post #28. If possible, post the dmesg result here. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

AppleATIATA.0x3f6.zip

Thanks Chun-Nan,

Definitely my PATA is fuxxing wicked, I hope we can fix it any time! Maybe it helps other people. See the next file.

Well now I'm going to have dinner (here in Spain is 11 PM). Talk to you later if you are still here. Thank you very much for your effort!

------ EDIT ------

BTW, what about ctl 0x376?

jomateixa

dmesg_0x3f6.rtf

Thanks Chun-Nan,

Definitely my PATA is fuxxing wicked, I hope we can fix it any time! Maybe it helps other people. See the next file.

Well now I'm going to have dinner (here in Spain is 11 PM). Talk to you later if you are still here. Thank you very much for your effort!

jomateixa

Hi jomateixa,

Thanks for the file. The CH0 still appeared twice. We need to find out why the CH0 showed twice and it cannot be 0xff value, either.

Chun-Nan

Thanks Chun-Nan,

Only a few questions, what about this line?

ata6: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xff08 irq 15

Can you insert both 0x3f6 and 0x376?

I still want to learn how to hack this, what file/s do you modify? Do you recompile the kext with Xcode?

Thanks Chun-Nan,

Only a few questions, what about this line?

ata6: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xff08 irq 15

Can you insert both 0x3f6 and 0x376?

I still want to learn how to hack this, what file/s do you modify? Do you recompile the kext with Xcode?

Hi jomateixa,

Yes, I changed both 0x3f4 and 0x374 to 0x3f6 and 0x376 but it still didn't help.

I need to collect more informaiton. Can you try this AppleATIATA and post the dmesg here again? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

AppleATIATA.kext.zip

Hi Chun-Nan,

With this file there's more register values and lamentably the dmesg have a limited buffer and I can't get the first values. Tomorrow I will collect the values manually. I have to go to sleep.

Cheers!

Hi jomateixa,

You can boot into single user mode to get dmesg message there.

I will open another topic to avoid hijacking this topic. :)

Chun-Nan

Edit:

Here is the link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130895

You can post dmesg result there. In addition, I posted the source code of AppleATIATA there.

Hi Chun-Nan,

i just have a question regarding the SB600 kexts, im using the kexts from lawless PPC 10.5.4. I installed OSX successfully, i even updated it to 10.5.5, but MAC OS still takes a long time to load, and to run the software. So, my question is, do you know if there are any newer (faster) versions of this kext? I have been looking for an updated version of this kext but i couldnt find it.

Thanx in advance...

Daniel

Hi Chun-Nan,

i just have a question regarding the SB600 kexts, im using the kexts from lawless PPC 10.5.4. I installed OSX successfully, i even updated it to 10.5.5, but MAC OS still takes a long time to load, and to run the software. So, my question is, do you know if there are any newer (faster) versions of this kext? I have been looking for an updated version of this kext but i couldnt find it.

Thanx in advance...

Daniel

Hi DanielSCC,

Are you getting "IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out" message or something like that? If so, that may be the reason why it taks a long time to boot.

I am not sure what kexts are included on lawless PPC 10.5.4. You can try the AppleATIATA posted on the following link to see if it makes any difference.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130895

Chun-Nan

Im not getting any warnings or messages, It's just the fact that it takes a long time to load files in the HD, (IDE), or software like GarageBand, Itunes, or iMovie. Everything is working correctly, but I think it should be faster because im using a quad-core processor and 4GB of 1066 RAM.

Im gonna try the kexts you suggested me, ill tell you what happened as soon as i get back home.

Thanks a lot Chun-Nan

Daniel

• 1 month later...

can i please ask you a question. i've seen that the sb600 topic is dead and i didn't know if you were still looking at it.

now my problem is that i have a sb600 southbridge but i have an intel processor so i can't install the lawless distro. i tried a lot of dvds and none worked. can you please guide me on how to make leopard work on my machine?