Which one of these 3 notebooks?

18 posts in this topic

Pls guys i need your advice, which of these 3 notebooks should i choose? I need a notebook for gaming/xp and OSX, but gaming is more important than a fully OSX supported notebook. I will spend one year in the USA as an exchange student, so i need a laptop and not a desktop machine.

Here are the nomonies for...my notebook:

one notebook with a 2gb ram and 2x2.0ghz cpu upgrade for 1100€

acer 1100€

asus 1180€

thx ppl

i would love to buy one of these colonel but my financial situation doesnt allow me to buy a macbook and when i come home from the usa a gaming system in addition. so i have to combine these two things, and the only way this is possible is either a mbp (to expensive :( ) or one of the notebooks i suggested. so which one would you choose?

I recommend checking out the wiki and the fundamentals of what works and what doesn't. For various reasons, none of those laptops is ideal. Don't get one based on 965p chipset. Intel GMA graphics are the most reliable for laptops, but failing that, the x1600 from ati, or one of the 6- or 7-series nvidia GPUs, not like 8600

Here is a nice Toshiba brand laptop that I found in the wiki ;)

A100-SK9

-OS Version: OSX 10.4.8 JAS SSE3 Intel Only

-Centrino Core Duo (T2500) 2.0GHZ (recognized as 2GHz Intel Core Duo)

-120 GB SATA (working)

-1GB DDR2 RAM (working)

-Nvidia go 7600 (running on full native resolution)

-Realtek ALC861 (Apple Azalia fix, but there is no volume control its always to the max, but this dosent matter since i got an external volume control on the front of my laptop )

-MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ-841S (working good, havent tried burning yet)

-Ethernet Intel PRO100 VE, Firewire, internal modem (For the ethernet i had to add my vendor and device ID in a kext file, firewire not tested, and for the modem i think its working cuz i can see it and configure my connection with it)

-Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG 802.11a/b/g (not working yet, waiting for someone to fix it, some forum said that they almost have)

-All Usb ports working

-DWL-G122 Usb Wireless G adapter (working by downloading the RT2500USB driver from ralinktech)

How is that for you/

the hardware would be ok, not very good for gaming, but the main problem also is that i cant find it on ebay or any german online shops. but a lot of laptops with similar configurations are out there. i'm wondering how good this latop is for gaming? i see u have a 7600 as well, so is it good for gaming? i have the 7900 and it's allright.

Something similar would work as well, not necessarily this laptop. What matters is the components used. So yeah. The 7600gs is fine for me, it's fine for most games, of course Supreme Commander is quite slow, but at least it works. It's MUCH faster than a GMA950 of course.

Then again, the mobile version is bound to be slower, but it should be pretty good for games. There are other chips as well. Why don't you buy a laptop with intel graphics and keep your desktop for gaming?

Pls guys i need your advice, which of these 3 notebooks should i choose? I need a notebook for gaming/xp and OSX, but gaming is more important than a fully OSX supported notebook. I will spend one year in the USA as an exchange student, so i need a laptop and not a desktop machine.

Hi

Why buy a notebook in Europe if you are going to the US?

One of the notebooks you mention costs 1180 Eur. That is about $1,588. I am pretty sure you can buy a very good one in the US for that money. Our American friends can confirm that. I wonder if you could buy a refurbished Mac Book Pro.

EXACTLY! Yes, what Alessandro17 said, buy one in the states, it's much cheaper than europe. I've been shopping around a lot, and I find that the USA has consistently got the lowest prices, on apple and other laptops. Of course if you can get a MBP that is the best.

Synaesthesia: as i said i'm going one year abroad and so i can't take my desktop machine with me and i don't want to buy a desktop computer in the usa because after one year i'm leaving again. so i have to have a notebook with which i can game with and run osx, or give up gaming or give up osx. the only thing i can probably give up is gaming, but only if it's damn necessary. how much sales taxes do i have to caculate on the mbp for 1300$ in the refurb store?

alessandro17: yeah i considered that also, but my little brother gets confirmed this week and he will buy my old pc and with that money and some savings i could buy a laptop, and i dont want to wait from this week till august when i land in the usa. but maybe i will wait, for the beauty of the mbp :dance_24:

i think you dont get it, i want to buy a mbp at the apple refurbished store for about 1300$ and i want to know how much sales tax i have to add to the 1300$.

Do you mean that you want to order it from the US while you are still in Germany?

no, when i'm arriving in the USA i order a mbp in the apple refurbished store and when they say 1300$ in the store, the sales tax is not included, right? so how much is the sales tax from a product which costs 1300$?

thx

no, when i'm arriving in the USA i order a mbp in the apple refurbished store and when they say 1300$ in the store, the sales tax is not included, right? so how much is the sales tax from a product which costs 1300$?

thx

No, to my knowledge there is no VAT in the US, so all prices should be inclusive.

You might want to check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

Of course our American friends should be able to confirm.

update: i have made a contract with my little brother, so he buys my desktop computer when i leave Germany, and i will probably buy a macbook pro in the us refurb store.

Allesandro18: can i assume that i have to pay no taxes for the macbook pro in the us reburb store?

thx