Does any of those Registry "cleaners" work?

macgirl

23 posts in this topic

Girl, what I know is that they don`t do nothing useful, they might destroy used information for instance. W32 Registry system is just a fancy way to store information that on a unix would be on"/etc" and "~/.*".

And I think there is no quiet good reasons to erase those records, to erase just one in a while, for installation problems and startups, use regedit.

Ah, and for startup use msconf (I think, don`t remember quiet well the name, could be msconfig)

yea, the ones that you install and dont try and make you scared to buy it do, they just remove redundant and old registry entries from improper uninstallers and errors, some can be risky though.... ccleaner has a basic one (thats free, good prog too) so you can run that and see, it also has a backup option so if it fuxx0rs your windows then you can restore it (never had that happen to me, but ive seen alot of windows installs go south.... so you never know....)

try out ccleaner.... its free and it does a tiny bit but barely anything... but sometimes useful....

as for answering do they do anything... it depends... for the average person no for some odd occasions yes....

I spent most of the starting portion of when I got internet back in 56k trying to find out ways to speed up my computer.... back then it was a Cyrix 200 non MMX.... had a friend that had a 400mhz Celeron or something like that.... keep it this way my comp was old, I was a gamer and I wanted to try the latest games...:)

so anyway in the seeking for methods.... I tried out registry tweakers, registry tweaking, memory cleaners, alternative gui's, modem tweaker's, anything I could find out about.....

my result of trying out some {censored} load of programs.... was that as far as what I just mentioned most of the things just don't do a sufficient change..... registry tweaking can do a bit but usually not much..... registry cleaning can sometimes rid you of a few probs... memory cleaning. back then I had 32mb of ram, I figure the issue was the program would clear the ram give me a boost but the program was taking up more ram then it would actually clear;P.... modem tweaking.... pending on the program it could slow things down;)....

anyway my thoughts are likely not much has changed since then maybe it would be a little more realistic to use some sort of memory cleaner now a day since most comps have tons more ram then back then.... but, you'd be likely to find that most programs that offer 200%+ speed increases or whatever else just don't work;P

saying all this.... the true classic ways to speed up a computer is more memory, overclocking, or upgrade........ almost missed one.... reinstall windows

bwhsh8r, god bless the Guru Meditation

Under windows, from my experience, CCleaner was the best choice. I dont know if it works under Vista, as I haven't tried it, but it really worked well under XP. You can literally notice your system running a bit faster. The first time I used it, I think it said I had 2Gb of total cache sizes, and a lot of invalid/corrupt registry keys. I was surprised, I knew it would be a lot...but not in the gigabyte range, lol.

In addition to {censored} Cleaner, The only other piece of software I've used that does a good job cleaning (And compacting) the Registry is

Advanced Uninstaller Pro. It comes with alot of bells and whistles that you most likely will not need (I never use them) but it is quite nice when it comes to Registry cleaning.

It is Payware - But that shouldn't be a problem :whistle:

• 4 months later...

As the topic has been brought forward ...

I use two programs on a regular basis. "XP Repair Pro 2007" and "Registry Mechanic". Both do an amazing job of clearing out {censored} from the registry and also fixing other system errors. They each find a few things that the other misses. I've never had either screw anything up and the results are often astounding in terms of speed and curing mystery errors like inexplicable delays when trying to do something.

With these two progs and a bit of common sense I have kept the XP installation on my desktop working smoothly for 679 days since first install according to the logs.

Other handy tools I use are "ContextDelete" - shifts stuff from the right-click menu that you don't want there; "Sandboxie" for trying new programs without actually having them permanently install anything; ActiveXManager for controlling what gets stuffed into IE and XPLite for getting rid of MS components. I also have a large collection of registry hacks I've mainly written myself, some of which I've posted here over time.

Thank you all guys (and gal :blink: )

I used CCCleaner, anyway one of the user accounts have problems with Outlook (rules that doesnt work anymore), Messenger cant run/connect corretly, other anomalies.

My account have less problems, sometimes messenger says that some component is damaged, then the next run it work.

What do you think, could a registry cleaner/fixer could save my WinXP or is better to reinstall, it gives me a headache to reinstall all the porgrams again :unsure:

I almost doesn't use the WinXP anymore, only to watch some movies/series, I work in the Mac OS X more than win, and also use more the new Dellintosh. I even installed Vista there to make some tests.

As one gal to another :P

I had a weird problem with my XP machine a couple of months back - right-clicking on anything caused a delay of about two minutes before I got a context menu. I resorted to DOS to delete stuff... At the same time double-clicking on MS Office documents opened the application but not the document. One pass of XP Repair Pro 2007 fixed both problems.

So my advice is to try a bunch of reg. fixing programs before you go through the hassle of reinstallation. It certainly sounds as if your problems are config. related. Give it a go, anyway.

If you're going to reinstall, you might want to read my Handy Guide to ReInstalling XP here. It's slightly outdated since the introduction of IE7, but the basic philosophy is still valid - particularly with regard to saving your settings and program defaults. It's a royal pain discovering that you've lost carefully customised configurations and programs no longer do what you laboriously set them up to do already!

On more than one occasion I've installed to a completely new disk and saved the old one. Then I've been able to connect it with a USB adapter and pull off stuff I'd forgotten to save. With HDDs being relatively cheap nowadays it's a great way of being certain.

Good luck Ale, and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Always glad to help :o

-s

i personally don`t believe in any of those registry cleaners.i belong to group of people who think that registry base is something that cannot be cleaned ...

format c /

~R

I've been using RegSupreme Pro for a couple years. I think it works well. Same company as Jv16 Power Tools. You can go into the Registry Editor and do a search for leftover files from deleted programs and delete from there. Its amazing whats left even after you use CCleaner or other registry cleaners. In Window Washer you can set up a custom wash to clean specific strings, values, keys to wash or delete. And just when you think you got rid of all your leftover junk from the registry, take a look into your C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch file.