ZD8000 owners - your experience running OSX86 on our dear laptops

g b

5 posts in this topic

I am deliberating about installing OSX86 on my ZD8K (ATI X600 1680x1050, bluetooth, broadcom wireless, TSST DL-DVDRW Lightscribe, P4 3.2GHz HT, 2GB RAM,...) and was wondering what are peoples experiences. I read all of the forums, including insanelymac and others, and the reports are that everything installs out of the box (for 10.4.8 patched kernel), but I have the following questions specifically about the ZD8K:

1. How is the speed compared to Windows XP?

3. Does OSX sees ZD8K as a laptop on which it can change the processor speed based on utilization ?

4. How is the heating? I am having big troubles keeping my ZD8K cool and have all bunch of monitoring programs. Do similar things exist/work on OSX86, what are the day-to-day operating ranges CPU/HDD temps under OSX86?

5. What is the stabilty of the Applications (mainly the Adobe series, Office X, Firefox, etc.). Again I found reports for stability of these apps on general OSX86 but how about the ZD8000?

6. Do ALL things work (i.e. lightscribe, bluetooth, firewire, all USBs, hardware keys, touchpad, etc etc)?

7. I use the SVHS TV-OUT all the time (for watching DVDs, dual-screen, etc.). Does this work under OSX?

I think that's about it. My main worry is the heat issue. Vista is already running it hotter than XP. Will OSX be so resource-intensive on the laptop that the temps are way above normal (48 CPU, 36 HDD for me) that it will burn the hardware much faster?

thanks!

---------------

ZD8000 CTO, P4 3.2GHz HT, 2GB RAM Dual-Channel, 100GB Fujitsu 5400rpm HDD, 20GB LaCie USB HDD, ATI X600 Mobile 256M VRAM, 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050) , Broadcom WiFi, Bluetooth, Intel Ethernet, TSST Corp 8x DVD+/-RW DL Lightscribe

I just installed mac os x 10.4.8 jas release... and I have a fully functional zd8080us, with the following specs

Mobility Radeon x600: qe/ci enabled 1400*900 kovergs patch

Wifi: out of the box bcm4306

sound: out of the box

lan: out fo the box

it quite speedy compared to xp, boot up just takes around 15 secs. CPU speed stays at 3.4GHz wich is not a problem for me since I'm always hooked up to wall outlet. The heat is pretty much the same as in win xp I suggest you to clean up the fans. Stability is ok (I have used Office:mac 2004, Photoshop CS2, Macromedia Studio) without a hitch. Firewire works, usb works, touchpad works (not glide pad). I dont know about bluetooth or ligthscribe since my system doesnt have that. ATI TV out does not work (yet) but they are pretty close to accomplish it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roberto,

thanks for the reply. Which are those patches for the graphics card? I heard that you need something called Callisto drivers to have the full blown 1680x1050 resolution? Isn't there some extension to use intel's speedstep? I use the wall outlet all the time, but the proc does get much hotter then.

• 4 months later...
I just installed mac os x 10.4.8 jas release... and I have a fully functional zd8080us, with the following specs

Mobility Radeon x600: qe/ci enabled 1400*900 kovergs patch

Wifi: out of the box bcm4306

sound: out of the box

lan: out fo the box

it quite speedy compared to xp, boot up just takes around 15 secs. CPU speed stays at 3.4GHz wich is not a problem for me since I'm always hooked up to wall outlet. The heat is pretty much the same as in win xp I suggest you to clean up the fans. Stability is ok (I have used Office:mac 2004, Photoshop CS2, Macromedia Studio) without a hitch. Firewire works, usb works, touchpad works (not glide pad). I dont know about bluetooth or ligthscribe since my system doesnt have that. ATI TV out does not work (yet) but they are pretty close to accomplish it.

Hello,

I have a similar computer, ZD8000, but I can't get my X600 mobility to work.

How did you install the video patch? Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Miro30

• 3 weeks later...