AC97 sound problem with NForce4

scatman

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

with JAS 10.4.8 (PPF1 and 2) I can not get my AC97-sound to work. In the control panel no device is shown. Thats strange for me because in the plist.info the correct vendor-id (10de) and device-id (0059) are already listed, so the sound-system should be recognized by default.

Any chances to get it working?

Kind regards,

Scatman

worked all out of the box here

Thank you for your reply. I know that it should work, but why it is not is the question. I don't know if an update to 10.4.9 could be of any help but I doubt it.

Scatman

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the reinstallation and update to 10.4.9 does not solve the problem. The AC97 sound device is not detected by OS X. The Win XP and Linux installations does not have any problems with using the device.

Maybe the only solution is getting an PCI-soundcard.

Like l_m_d above, worked right away for me (although not using jas); never had problems with it being detected in "System Preferences>Sound" since 10.4.4 I think.

Note that it isn't listed as an "on-board device" in System Configuration, it's not seen there; but it's there in the control panel, for me.

You could go for an external usb sound-card; i've read the (now) cheap sblive external works ok (search audio subforum).

hello,

AC'97 sound cards are genereally not detected by OS X but they should work anyway (u already know that)... try adjusting the sound properties and turning it up on the Mac (top toolbar)... aditionally, it helps if you use speakers that also have a volume control... i know a hack to manually increase output of AC'97, i'll have to dig it up tho... PM me if u need help

You could go for an external usb sound-card; i've read the (now) cheap sblive external works ok (search audio subforum).

This seems to be the best solution for me. I will take a look at the audio forum.

Thank you for the guidance

Scatman