blotsome

18 posts in this topic

MSI K9VGM-V VIA K8M890

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Lite-On DVD-R 18X IDE

1GB DDR2 RAM

320 GB SATA

ISO: OSX 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]

This is a completely clean install. I boot from the DVD. I get the option to press F8 and after that about 20 lines of text scroll (I guess during installation initialization), I get the "Still waiting for root device" message. This is before any gray screen or Apple logo. The SATA drive is on the Third Channel, and the DVD is on the First Channel slave. Reading through the forums, I get the impression that I need to get an IDE hard drive, and put it on the first channel master. However, I also got the impression that SATA problems were for NForce4 chipsets, and that the ISO I was trying to install supported VIA SATA.

So any suggestions? Is there something I am missing? Is there another ISO I should be using? Another set of configurations? Or should I just get an IDE hard drive? Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the fast reply. Here is the last few lines before the message:

From path: "uuid",

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 3F2E02BC=6827-3984-9BD0-A10706806A8F

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources>/string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Apple16X50UARTSync2:Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

IOATA Controller device blocking bus.

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA UNKNOWN (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0C3f4. IRQ 14, BM 0Xfa00)

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

Still wa... and so on

I can post more if necessary. Thanks again.

Yeah, try the method you implied. It worked for me. Connect an IDE Hard Disk on your system along with your current SATA Hard Disk. Try to install again, this will fix it. Then after the installation on your SATA Disk just remove the IDE.

Ok. I hooked up an IDE drive to the computer. It took a little re-arranging because the drive was jumpered to cord select and I was getting a "Disk boot failure" error message. The configuration that worked for me was to jumper the drive to be a master, but put it on the slave port of the cable, and have the DVD drive on the other end. I also set the boot order in bios to only boot from the DVD drive and nothing else. So I went through the initialization and read a few errors such as no airport detected (obviously) etc and "SAM Multimedia:Read or WRITE failed", but I guess nothing major enough because I got to the grey/blue screen and selected the langauge. No disk was visable ("Wizard cannot find install partition") so I went to the disk utility. Unfortunately, the disk utility could not see my SATA drive. I only have the IDE drive and the DVD drive visible in disk utility. Any ideas? Should I just install to IDE? The issue is I don't have a blank IDE drive, so I'm reluctant to erase this drive. I guess I could burn everything on the drive to DVDs?

So is there anything I can do at this point to get the installation or disk utility to recognize the SATA drive? It would be real nice to install this straight to the SATA drive.

If I end up having to install to IDE, would it be possible to install the SATA drivers after I get everything up and running? And then what would I need to do on the SATA drive? Copy all the files to it? Clone the previous drive? Re-install on the new drive?

OK, I cleared off the IDE drive and installed onto that without a hitch. So good so far!

I didn't have internet, which didn't surprise me because of what others said about my MB at the wiki. So I went to the link and downloaded and installed ViaRhine. It was a little difficult at first because it's hard to get a file onto a computer with no internet. I burned a disk on my XP machine that wasn't recognized by OSX. Ends up the disk was slightly damaged, so I burned onto a new section and could get the files onto the new box and installed. Internet is now working!

Next, I installed ALC883Audio.mpkg, and I can hear audio out of my speakers, only it is choppy. I've tried streaming content, CD playback, and ripped CD content, all in iTunes. any ideas why the audio is choppy?

If you've been following this thread, you'd know that I was unable to install to SATA because the installer could not recognize the drive. Now that the OS is running, is there anything I can do to get SATA working?

I'd also like to discuss my xBench scores (mine is 62.54, and my low points are the Graphic Tests, no surprise because I am using onboard video, and Disk test, the vecLib FFT also is low, but not sure if any of this is problematic. I was thinking perhaps an unoptimized install was causing the choppy audio, not a bad driver) and possible upgrade to 10.4.9, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Thanks for any help you may offer!

I have nForce4 chipset too. and I was told I need to use IDE to install, but you're saying you need to have IDE connected + Sata and then disconnect IDE ?

Well i installed on IDE, + Sata connected(backup drive) and I cant see my sata on OSX.

But I been downloading the new uphuck osx86 dvd from demonoid so lets try with that new installation

tell me how it goes for you

• 1 month later...

I'm going to give this thread a bump. Using JaS has been problematic, but I was told that trying out tubgirl's OSX_1049_AMD_PPF would work (someone PMed me and said they had my same chipset/MoBo and got SATA working on install with tubgirl). So I tried that out and still got the still waiting for root device error.

Note, I got JaS working on an old IDE drive, but nothing I have been able to do has let the OS see the SATA drive (which shows up in BIOS).

So... does anyone know how I can get SATA working either after install, or before using JaS 10.4.8 or Tubgirl 10.4.9. Would flashing the MoBo help? I've flashed the BIOS to 1.3, but I'm not sure if there is a new version using live update (I'm scared to try live update out through OSX, and I don't have a windows OS on this box).

I have a similar problem, different mobo vendor but same VIA chipset. I was able to get my SATA controller to work after changing device and vendor IDs in one of the kexts, but that was AFTER I installed osx on my IDE drive (I'll try to post a link to a how-to topic if I can find it). My question is: if I'm able to make my SATA work after setup, then is there any way I could enable it before installing osx? I would really like to use sata drive for osx...

EDIT:

The method that worked for me is described here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8&hl=vt8251

(SATA drives working after install)

ok I'm gonna add to this. although this is an old thread, I'm having the same problem, I have an Asus A8n5X with an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4ghz processor with an Nforce4 chipset.

now, what I want to do is install on an IDE drive, not sata, my xp installation is on the SATA drive so I want that to be left alone. now when I boot the dvd, it tells me the "still waiting for root device" so if I was to disable sata in my bios, could this method possibly work?

Hi all

The problem is very easy to fix for blotsome anyway .... I have the same board and had the same problem. You have to change or add the vendor & device ID in the AppleVIAATA.kext in the (info.plist file) your vendor is via which is 1106 and the device is 0591.

If you want to do a Native Install which nicer then doing a copy from an IDE or VMware. You have to change the Extensions.mkext on the Install DVD here is a link that will help http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=47859 with that just give it a read if you have any problems let me know.

The vendor IDs aren't so bad but they change device IDs Like I change my underwear.

ZZ

• 2 months later...