"still waiting for root device" Intel with ICH7/8 solution

twophive

5 posts in this topic

This is only for those with Intel processors, specificly with SSE3 support, and SATA using either the ICH7 or 8.

There are many releases out there, such as the combined AMD/Intel releases. You need to download the correct one for your hardware, and this is what I have finally figured out after days of fustration. Your looking for the Intel "ONLY" release that comes with SSE3. That was my first fix.

Secondly, as many others have posted in other threads. With newer releases, there is NO native IDE support, SO

you either need :

A Sata to IDE converter, (for your IDE optical drive, if you don't have a Sata optical drive)

OR

You need an "External" USB optical drive. THEN, you should be on your way!

Hopefully this has helped someone. My specific setup for those who want to compare.

10.4.8->10.4.9 Flawlessly, restart worked after the update.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 - 9x367

XMS2 2x512Mb, Abit IB9, WD 160Gb

PCI FX5500 - Works QE/CI with NV40 Patch

PCIe Abit Airpace 5006EG based Wireless - Waiting/Doesn't work

Realtek Gbe - Works with RTL1XXX Patch

Realtek ALC882 - Works

• 4 months later...
This is only for those with Intel processors, specificly with SSE3 support, and SATA using either the ICH7 or 8.

There are many releases out there, such as the combined AMD/Intel releases. You need to download the correct one for your hardware, and this is what I have finally figured out after days of fustration. Your looking for the Intel "ONLY" release that comes with SSE3. That was my first fix.

Secondly, as many others have posted in other threads. With newer releases, there is NO native IDE support, SO

you either need :

A Sata to IDE converter, (for your IDE optical drive, if you don't have a Sata optical drive)

OR

You need an "External" USB optical drive. THEN, you should be on your way!

Hopefully this has helped someone. My specific setup for those who want to compare.

10.4.8->10.4.9 Flawlessly, restart worked after the update.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 - 9x367

XMS2 2x512Mb, Abit IB9, WD 160Gb

PCI FX5500 - Works QE/CI with NV40 Patch

PCIe Abit Airpace 5006EG based Wireless - Waiting/Doesn't work

Realtek Gbe - Works with RTL1XXX Patch

Realtek ALC882 - Works

Hello there,

I have a IDE optical drive and 2 IDE HDDs. Optical drive using SATA converter.

I put on the Install DVD and it still says "still waiting for root device" and it goes on and on and on..

Just I upgraded to new Abit IB9 motherboard and processor and having a problem with my installation. I already have my 10.4.9 installed using old mobo.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)