Airport

lonmoore

12 posts in this topic

I have OS 10.4.5 installed on a PC. I'm wanting to take screenshots of Mac setup and installation of Airport. I have an ASUS USB card (works fine). I have a netgear router for my PCs and an Embarq modem for my DSL connection. What do I need to setup an Airport network (least possible equipment possible). Can I do this with my equipment or will I absolutely have to have an Aiport Express base station or something else? Presently, after entering all information (passwords, wep keys, etc.) I'm told there is a problem. Thanks for any assistance.

"You need Atheros/Broadcom chip wifi card/adapter"

Thanks for the reply, riws. Would any brand, cheapo USB atheros/broadcom chipset adapter allow me to setup an Airport network? Is there any card that you would recommend?

I have 3 cards with bcm4306 chip. One mini-pci dell truemobile card, one pcmcia buffalo WLI2-CB-G54S and one pci buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S. All Airport compatible cards. But I think most of the cards with broadcom/atheros chips will work. Buffalo/Belkin is good choice. There are not so many usb wifi adapters with those chips inside, most of them use Ralink/Marvell chips today. Linksys wusb54gsc is known to be compatible, but its not so cheap as other wifi adapters. If you have a PC with emty pci slot take a pci wifi card.

http://atheros.rapla.net/

http://broadcom.rapla.net/

I have 3 cards with bcm4306 chip. One mini-pci dell truemobile card, one pcmcia buffalo WLI2-CB-G54S and one pci buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S. All Airport compatible cards.

Hello again, riws. I bought the WLI2-PCI-G54S card. Another question. Drivers? Where do I get them and how do I install? I got the drivers from the Buffalo site but they are Windows drivers. Is there an Apple compatible driver for the card? Thanks for any help.

This is your Airport driver /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext You have to edit the Info.plist file with your hardware ID, use TextEdit or some PlistEdit app. The simple way is to copy the kext file to your desktop, modify the Info.plist file there, delete the original file, copy back, repair the disk permissions with Disk Utility and restart

Thats mine:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4309</string>

<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

And if its neccesary this file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

en0 to en1 (or en2)

IOInterfaceUnit from 0 to 1 (or 2)

PS:Dont use WEP as Wifi encription on your Router

Do I just add the code below to the info.plist file or do I have to replace something?

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4309</string>

<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

Thanks again.

Replace the strings where the IONameMatch list is

Is it possible for you to send a copy of your info.plist file to me at chasmcg@hotmail.com (with a little comment next to the correct lines)? I'm mainly a Windows person. If I had your file I would know what to do. Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am a totaly noob, and so far my hackintosh worked without any tweeking. I bought a Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 because in the wiki it said that the card works out of the box, but it doesn't...

The PCI card is not reconised in the system profile, but neither my usb an FW PCI card and they do work fine. I guess it is where I can find the "IONameMatch"

Is it possible that Ionmoore or riws send me the file that they are talking about? it will help me a lot...