Mac-to-windows VNC

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a VNC application that would allow me to connect and control my Windows XP desktop machine from my Mac laptop? I can't find any that have distributions for both Windows and OS X.

Thanks in advance,

Edd

x

Hi EddM:

I use VNC on my PC's and Mac's all the time. The trick is you need to get separate packages for each platform and purpose.

For Windows:

http://www.realvnc.com

The Free version comes with VNC Server (to host the service) and VNC Viewer (to view clients). I use this at home and work. Works great, and it's free.

For Macintosh:

Viewer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

Server: http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/

Chicken of the VNC (cotvnc) is freeware client to view VNC Clients on all platforms that support VNC (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc). OSxVNC (or Vine Server) is freeware server for Mac OS X.

Using the above software installed on Mac and Windows, you can use your MacBook to control your Windows PC (and vice versa). In your case, all you would need to do is install RealVNC on your Windows PC and Chicken of the VNC on your MacBook to control your Windows PC.

Good luck!

Hi EddM:

Glad to be of help. One suggestion I have: Make your passwords harder to crack (use at least 8 characters with alpha and numbers). And secure your Wireless Network (if you have one).

One time, I used my laptop on my Mom's (unsecured) Wireless Network, and then someone appeared like they took control of my Windows laptop (!) This has never happened on my PC's running OS X, tho'

Have fun using VNC!

• 3 years later...

mac has a built in VNC Server, but not client I think. To Enable the OSX VNC Server in 10.5.x or 10.6.x (might be in obsolete 10.4.x too) go to Sys Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing (Remote Desktop Sharing on 10.4) basically this has ssh samba afp vnc and maybe some more, for 10.4 u might need a different Remote Desktop Client if its not VNC 10.5 and 10.6 use VNC for sure

mac has a built in VNC Server, but not client I think. To Enable the OSX VNC Server in 10.5.x or 10.6.x (might be in obsolete 10.4.x too) go to Sys Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing (Remote Desktop Sharing on 10.4) basically this has ssh samba afp vnc and maybe some more, for 10.4 u might need a different Remote Desktop Client if its not VNC 10.5 and 10.6 use VNC for sure

And a client, I think

/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing

Works Mac-Mac SL at least

Why the hell it is hidden there!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
And a client, I think

/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing

Works Mac-Mac SL at least

Why the hell it is hidden there!!!

This is one of the first things I drag to my dock after a rebuild. In addition to that I use the ScreenSharing Menulet for saving those machines I connect to often.