vmware tools of Mac OSX x86

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have installed Mac OSX x86 10.4.6 in vmware workstation 5.5.2. It works well.

(I setted the guest operating system to FreeBSD).

When I tried to install vmware-tools, there are some problems.

It can't not find : kldstat, kldload, kldunload...

But I have solved these by googleing...^^

kldstat -> changed by /usr/sbin/kextstat

kldload -> changed by /sbin/kextload

kldunload -> changed by /sbin/kextunload

ldd -> you have to install Xcode, then /usr/bin/otool

When finished some questions about path, I got a message:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sh: line 1: /usr/local/lib/vmware-tools/sbin32/vmware-guestd: cannot execute binary file

The installation of VMware Tools 5.5.2 build-29772 for FreeBSD completed

successfully. You can decide to remove this software from your system at any

time by invoking the following command:

"/usr/local/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl".

Before running VMware Tools for the first time, you need to configure it by

invoking the following command: "/usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you

want this program to invoke the command for you now? [no]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I think the installation is successful.

But when I enter "y", I got an error message :

Argument "8.4.1\n" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at /usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl line 2589.

You are not running FreeBSD. This version of the product only runs on FreeBSD.

Execution aborted.

I don't know what's wrong. Can anyone help me?? I think this will be successful if we change some

lines in this file "vmware-config-tools.pl" near the line 2589

I will post the contents of this file in a new article.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
For an it professional ( a real one) it should be max. 1 hour of time.

Since we don't have any , anyone who gets angry and writes a solution...

You'll not be able to use vmware tools..

This thread is well out of date, and some of the tools for darwin in VMware Fusion work for Leopard/

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is well out of date, and some of the tools for darwin in VMware Fusion work for Leopard/

I don't think this thread is quit out of date. As far as I know, nobody in the whole wide world has gotten Mac OS/X to run well as a VMWare guest. People have gotten the basic OS to work, but not the VMWare tools. And without the VMWare tools, performance is horrible and flakey.

If someone has gotten it to work, I sure can't find where they've posted a solution. And I've been looking for nearly a year now.

I don't think this thread is quit out of date. As far as I know, nobody in the whole wide world has gotten Mac OS/X to run well as a VMWare guest. People have gotten the basic OS to work, but not the VMWare tools. And without the VMWare tools, performance is horrible and flakey.

If someone has gotten it to work, I sure can't find where they've posted a solution. And I've been looking for nearly a year now.

Well just check out the thread I have on this. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

Works fine!

Well just check out the thread I have on this. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

Works fine!

OH. Huh. I've never found that in my searching before. :D That looks encouraging....

The last line says "Note that the graphics driver and shared folders do not work on WIndows and Linux VMware products."

I'm not sure what this is saying. What non-Windows and non-Linux VMWare products does this work for? The VMWare Tools graphics driver is pretty important, because it significantly speeds up performance (from my experience), and it allows the screen to be resized.

Do you know if USB is supported?

I'll have to give this a try for myself and report back if I discover anything enlightening.

Thanks!!! :):)

OH. Huh. I've never found that in my searching before. ;) That looks encouraging....

The last line says "Note that the graphics driver and shared folders do not work on WIndows and Linux VMware products."

I'm not sure what this is saying. What non-Windows and non-Linux VMWare products does this work for? The VMWare Tools graphics driver is pretty important, because it significantly speeds up performance (from my experience), and it allows the screen to be resized.

Do you know if USB is supported?

I'll have to give this a try for myself and report back if I discover anything enlightening.

Thanks!!! :D:D

VMware Fusion is the other product that does work. Actually many people find the display is fine, and sound, USB and network also works. The shared folders do work but can only be accessed using root or sudo currently. Trying to work out what the difference is between Workstation and Fusion implementation of vmhgfs mounter. Graphics driver does load but the auto resize doesn't work. Cut, copy & paste works fine, and mouse entry and exit from screen is also seamless.

Whilst it isn't ideal it is a lot better than we had before in the days of Tiger and the OP here. Would I use for graphics intensive work. Nope but then I wouldn't do that with XP, Vista or Linux on VMware either. Is it good enough for coding and general use absolutely.

• 6 months later...

catch22 ,.....

- can't install it in vmware fusion,... to get an image

- vmware server ,... is server,... need to do it from scratch, if I understand it right

- vmware player won't do, but can use vdi

- vmware workstation,.... is not free,... and don't think it works,

- virtualbox, is not working

think, it be cool, for all the windoze users, stuck ,... especially at work, to get to osx, without an reboot,...

on my laptop, doing the other way around,... running windows in vm fusion,...

so what's needed is VM , VDI images for starters ...

oh, hmm,... back to server,.... if we could get osx, in the server space, that be cool too,....

aka, xen or vb, esx, sphere,... but for the average, be way to much work, think parrallels, is working on the server

edition,.... with stipulation,... of running it on the fruity hardware only, aka server, with an extra, osx server license, in vm space,.... takes the fun out of it,....

think VB needs a little work,..... and once snow is out, things might change a little,...

oh,.... looks like ZFS is dead with snow release,... solaris does run in vm or VB on osx,... as such, could run the server there,... it's just so much work,...

also don't forget, the RDP,...VB has it , windoze has it,... the big thing, would be, getting full X-terminal, ... terminal services, running, like linux, with multi users support, without running server,... now that be something,

or virtual server machine, with multihead, and multiusers,....

• 7 months later...
Does it matter if it is 64bit OS

Yes and No, tell us your configuration and we will do our best, may be worth using one or other of the two topics you are currently posting in, so we only have to monitor one or start your own topic with your configuration and what you are trying to achieve, then we can either help or point you in the right direction.