HELP! OSX install failed and now i cant get back into WinXP.

s.newave

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

i just tried to install OSX onto my pc by first using DISKPART in xp to create an af primary partition after my xp partition. I then set it to active as per the instructions and rebooted. Unfortunately i am getting a "Still waiting for root device error" so i couldnt install OSX however that is for another thread.

The problem though is that after removing the OSX install DVD xp does not boot and i get an error saying "Error loading operating system". Im thinking this is because i have my OSX partition still set to active? How do i go about making my xp partition partition active again so i can boot into XP while i figure out why OSX isnt installing?

Thanks

Try booting into the recovery console of the XP cd. Hopefully it will still recognize the XP install. Then type "fixboot" and "fixmbr" without quotes. Then try running a checkdisk by typing "chkdsk /r"

Just taking a shot in the dark here,

Thx i will try this although i was also thinking of perhaps booting into fdsik of a floppy and then setting my xp partiton to active. Do you think that might work? I would like to do as repairing and modifying to my xp partition as possible.