MPEG Streamclip isn't working!

A Nonny Moose

4 posts in this topic

OK, so while using it to convert an m2t file, I get the audio only without any video. I know it's a valid file because it works in VLC, but I want to convert it to save HD space. What dang plugin do I need so I can get the video on this thing?

I've been using Streamclip quite extensively the past few days.

I'm no expert but maybe I'm able to help but I need more info.

What is the source file?

Which option EXACTLY do you choose from File/Export or Convert?

In the Exporter screen, what Compression type did you choose? What options did you change?

I would suggest you choose something simple (just to test). Set an In and Out time of lets say 30 secs. Choose Export to MPEG4, in Compression type choose (or leave it at) H264. Disable multipass and B-frames if they are enabled. Set quality to 30%. Leave the rest and hit Make MP4.

I would expect that if you are missing a codec you would get an error instead of no image in your result. That would be quite lame but you never know :)

I think m2t (or did you mean m2v?) is a container that could hold different video codecs. Since VLC has its own codecs built in and can play the file is no guarantee that Streamclip can transcode the file. IF that is the case, you can transcode the file with VLC. Choose File Streaming/Transcoding wizard, walk through the options and either try to choose lossless video codec or something known to deliver the BEST quality that Streamclip can handle. The reason? VLC is not made to transcode and the quality will be poor trying to push the envelope on size. Your result will be big but equal in quality to the source. Then you can open it in Streamclip and transcode to H264 or dvix/xvid or whatever you prefer.

It's an m2t file, but MPEG Streamclip is working wonderfully now. Turns out I needed the official MP2 decoder for QuickTime.

It is PAINFULLY SLOW though (after two full days of encoding it's at 44%). Is this due to the converstion from the HD file or is it not optimized for Altivec (I'm using a G4 tower)

• 3 weeks later...