What, exactly, is a kernel coded in?

Guest Ramm

7 posts in this topic

Guest Ramm

I was just curious...how is a kernel coded? Does it use a standard code or something else?

Wikipedia didn't answer much.

Guest Ramm

How is it structured? Is it split into sections depending on the load order of hardware or something?

I'd say most likely 90% or more is standard C code, with certain parts written in Assembly (the lowest level you can program at) for performance reasons. Practically no-one writes all-assembler any more like in the old days - its just too damn hard. Games often have assembler sections to speed up where it counts.

As for structure, in a very generalised way, i'd say most software which deals with low-level stuff like direct hardware access will be written in layers. Each layer extends and enhances the functions of the lower layer, and provides services to the next layer above. For more details on this way of thinking, look into the ISO/OSI 7-layer model proposed for TCP/IP and the 5-layer model which was eventually adopted.

Then again, im no kernel haxx0r, so I dont really know.. i'd like to hear a good explanation if anyone has one?

Guest Ramm

Thanks people,

yes I too would like to here an explanation from someone like semthex or the like :)