Sony VAIO-SZ3XWP - Several problems with OSx86 10.4.8 (kernel 8.8.1)

7 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to say hello to all the users in this forum! Very good comunication here and after spending almost 2 full days reading, my brain is smokin'!

First an overview of my notebook speccs:

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ3XWP/C

OS 1: Microsoft Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS 2: Mac OS X 10.4.8 (JaS Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1, Kernel 8.8.1)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200, 2.00GHz --- Memory: 2GB/Go DDR2 SDRAM

HDD: 100 GB/Go (S-ATA) --- Screen: 13.3" WXGA (1280*800) X-blackLCD with LED technology

Optical: MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ-842S (DVD+/-RW+R DL/RAM)

Grafics: NVidia Geforce Go 7400 (not working) & Mobile Intel® 945GM (not working properly)

Wireless: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (Not working) and D-Link DWL-G122 (Ver. B1) (not working)

Ethernet: Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (not working)

Audio: Sigmatel CXD9872 (not working) --- Webcam: Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2 (not working)

PCMCIA: "Unknown Model" (not working) --- Bluetooth: Personal Area Network from Toshiba (Working!)

I have installed OSx86 10.4.8 with kernel 8.8.1. The system works, but as expected it has a couple of problems that I need to deal with.

I have read loads of pages, downloaded loads of drivers, and tested a lot of things to get a couple of things working properly without success. Either I am too old to understand this, am trying to get things working that can't work yet, or I am basically too dumb for the system and should stick with XP... :P

Nevertheless here is a description of the problems I currently have and am not able to solve:

1. The grafic card is not able to do any other resolution then 1024 * 768 (doesn't matter if it is with the 945GM or the NVidia go 7400). Need help in finding the right way to do this. I know there are loads of pages explaining how to and I have also installed the Macvidia driver but still no change...

2. There is no sound available with my Sigmatel CXD9872

3. No WLAN with my Intel 3945ABG (As far as I understood so far, there is nothing one can do about it yet...)

4. No WLAN with my D-Link DWL-G122 (ver. B1) also. I installed a driver that I found somewhere on my neverending search and this one also shows up under "Other" in "System Preferences, but still when I plug it in my USB slot nothing happens...

5. No Ethernet connection thru the MArvell Yukon 88E8036 controler (it's all "grey" when I look in the "Network Setup Assistant")

6. PCMCIA Slot not working.

Bluetooth works! :thumbsup_anim:

I appologise as I know I am asking questions that hundreds of other users have already asked, but I hope that maybe somebody can indicate some topics that actually can show me in the right direction and actually are able to help me move forward?

Thank you in advance!

Collins

I have the same Notebook like you.

Until now I got the integrated network running by following the guide in the tutorial section of this Board.

After upgrading to 10.4.9 with the Jas combo update I used the AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 (you will find this via search) and a codec files (look for Sony VAIO in the forum).

Currently I'm running also on 1024x768. I'm still trying to get a higher resolution but until now with no luck.

Currently I'm working with a different PC so I couldn't tell you the links to the files but you will easy find them in this forum.

• 1 year later...

You know, we should get a specific thread going just for sony vaio Sz models. I know before, I installed, I was looking to see the experiences with other Sony SZ users.

I've got a Sz430n with 10.5.2 installed, but I haven't gotten a chance to play around with it fully and see what works and what doesnt.

Sorry to the OP, can't help you much and for hijacking your thread.

i would love to hear some solutions! i've got the same notebook, and the same problems!

Hello,

I have 10.5.1 Kaly running real fine on a Sony SZ5, which is pretty similiar to the model in question. ADDED See Sig for HCL-Info link.

To get it running, this was one of the rare times when the OSX86- HCL page was very helpful: someone helpful hackintosher gave very specific instructions under: "JAS 10.4.8 /laptops" for patching the sound and the lan, very easy.

The video was a bit trickier: I have CI/QE only in the so-called stamina-mode (GMA950 not the Nvidia mode) but hey, that is really good enough for me. The Nvidia Go7400 will also boot, but people have gotten hardware accerleration only on external monitors with that, as fas as I know.

good luck,

ninetto