Syndicate on Mac OS X (?)

fumanju

8 posts in this topic

You heard it right, Syndicate, developed by Bull Frog back in the old days (10+ yrs ago). Anyway, I just got my hands on an original CD and really want to get it to work.

Since this game was released 10+ yrs ago, it's obviously not for OS X. Since i'm a recent Hackintosh convert, I don't have a clue of how to get old school app to work on OS X. If anyone got any idea, please let me know.

If it's only for a Classic Environment like System8 or OS9, no go. You can't even install those on an Intel Mac, OS9 only works under PPC.

I have a cd of the same game for Windows, also bought a Prima Guide for the maps. Great game. Was it really made 10 years ago? I still vividly remember playing countless hours trying to scrounge all the items and secret items in the game. :pirate2:

The one I have is for Mac, released in 1994. I believed it was released for several other platforms, including PC.

I just found out about SheepShaver, a PPC emulator for PC/Linux/Intel Mac. The problem is that it requires a Mac OS cd (8.5-9.04) and an Old World Rom (i have no idea what that is). I'm asking the ppl in the Emaculation forum, hopefully will get some answers soon.

I paid about $9 for Syndicate, OS 8.5 CD is going for $38.50 including shipping on eBay. Not counting the time-money equivalent, getting Syndicate to work will cost about the same as buying a new game that will run natively on OS X. But you know what, getting to play Syndicate again would be totally worth it.

At the risk of sounding like a Mastercard commercial, playing Syndicate on a Hackintosh running OS X: priceless.

The one I have is for Mac, released in 1994. I believed it was released for several other platforms, including PC.

I just found out about SheepShaver, a PPC emulator for PC/Linux/Intel Mac. The problem is that it requires a Mac OS cd (8.5-9.04) and an Old World Rom (i have no idea what that is). I'm asking the ppl in the Emaculation forum, hopefully will get some answers soon.

I paid about $9 for Syndicate, OS 8.5 CD is going for $38.50 including shipping on eBay. Not counting the time-money equivalent, getting Syndicate to work will cost about the same as buying a new game that will run natively on OS X. But you know what, getting to play Syndicate again would be totally worth it.

At the risk of sounding like a Mastercard commercial, playing Syndicate on a Hackintosh running OS X: priceless.

there is plenty of places to download os 9 from, look at the usual suspects.... the Rom, think old school ppc BIOS, can be found in the System Folder of the install CD as some computers lacked it by the time 9 came out. I'm not sure if SS will be fast enough for your needs, it's very laggy atm. Funnily enough, you will probably get better performance running the PC version under parallels or VMware, IIRC it was a DOS game - so emulating it will be a breeze.

• 2 weeks later...

glassJAw -

How did you get it to run on DOSBox on OS X? I recently was able to get it to run with DOSBox on my PC, but I want to get it going on my iMac. I have a 2.16 iMac with OS X 10.4

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded Syndicate from here (BestOldGames.net): http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/syndicate.php

2. When I unzipped the file I downloaded, one weird thing happened. Everything seemed to unzip fine except the EXE files. I got three files that had funky names.

3. I compared the file size of the funky named files with what I got on my PC, and renamed them accordingly to the intro.exe, main.exe, and dos4gw.exe

4. When I go into DOSbox and try and run the main.exe, it just hangs - I get no change in the screen, it doesn't start playing the intro, etc.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roots

• 3 weeks later...