DX10 in Mac OS.......Maybe earlier then expected

Simania_NL

8 posts in this topic

Here some very interessting news for our Mac gaming addicts! If this turns out to be true, we're going to have some more tittles to play :(

A chap called Cody Brocious from San Diego, California, claims to have started to create an wrapper for Windows executables so that they can be ran on another operating system, with no prejudice about that operating system.

A year in, the Alky Project has gone live under the cover of a company Falling Leaf Systems. Members of its Sapling Program will be able to get the wrappers for DirectX10 applications and run them not just on DX10 hardware under Windows XP, but with some DX9 hardware as well.

Although this sounds like a fairytale, Cody claims he reverse-engineered the Geometry Shader code, and that users will be able to run Windows games intended on the Mac OS X on x86-based Macinteltoshes as well as Linux.

Check out the full article http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39095

i sooooo want this

this could be the turning point

macs are getting around - all they need is to attract gamers right now

a lot of kids in my school are like "i would get a mac but i need my games" and they're too lazy and not savy enough (athough it requires no techy stuff) to install boot camp

Well, first things first.

When Apple, or anyone, releases drivers for my nVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS, I will make the switch.

I can't even drag TextEdit without losing the content and only having the border, or scroll. But I did love what I did have. ;)

When the gaming cards are supported, and now, the gaming will be too? The gamers shall come.

The guy should work on making this get more FPS than Windows.

Which really isn't possible, but if it did, the gamers would say Hello to Mr. Mac OS X.

So how does this bode for those of us wanting a Wine/DirectX experience? Will this assist it or harm it?

Well I think Wine is more like a Windows pretending program, while this seems more like porting specific DX 10 code to Mac OS.

On a side note, I'm a little bit supprised by the lack of interest this topic gets. I always thought that the only problem with running OS X was the lack of game support, at least that's why I'm running BootCamp. Not because of the splendid GUI in Windows OS X.....sorry I mean Vista.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.