Help us write a 10.4.3 FAQ!

Swad

5 posts in this topic

We're writing a new FAQ for 10.4.3. Here are a few of the questions that need answer to:

What is PAE and why do I need it?

What is NX/XD and why do I need it?

What is SSE3 and why do I need it?

Please post to this thread and answer these! We'll take the best answers and compile them into one big post of FAQ-goodness.

If you have any other questions that you've seen a lot that need to be here, let us know!

Wikipedia SSE3

NX bit Wikipedia

Something about PAE:

Microsoft has recently introduced their ESP solution named DEP (Data Execution Prevention) with Service Pack 2 for XP and Service Pack 1 for Windows 2003. DEP relies on a hardware extension provided by Intel/AMD built on top of PAE (Page Addressing Extensions). PAE was initially created to overcome the 4GB limit resulting from 32 bit wide memory management. It effectively increases the affected data structures to cover additional bits in order to be capable of addressing beyond the 4GB boundary. Furthermore, the extended data structures contain a special NX bit, that is not used otherwise during "normal" PAE mode (reserved bit). The NX bit is used to mark pieces of data (particularly the stack and the heap) as readable but non executable, thus preventing data on an overflowed stack from being executed. The NX flag can be enabled and disabled per application, and it's only currently available on some 64 bit CPUs (regardless of the OS being 32 bits or 64 bits). Microsoft software DEP takes another approach, preventing the so-called SEH exploit (using a buffer overflow to overwrite an exception handler's address pointer in order to take control). Microsoft software DEP does not provide non executable code pages but SEH exploit protection only!

I hope this will help you.