Problem starting installation

hirshkis

5 posts in this topic

Hi.

Perhaps, someone would be kind enough to offer suggestions keeping in mind that I'm about average mac savvy.

Downloaded disc image (5.39 GB) and double-clicked icon. Verifying went fine, mounting "Mac OS X Install DVD" volume on desktop. Then used Toast to copy mounted volume to double-layer DVD (used Toast's "disc copy"). All went fine in that burned DVD mounts and appears to contain all downloaded files. However, when I try an install by double-clicking the Install icon within the opened DVD, my computer reboots but does not booit from the Install disk. For a moment, I get a folder containing a question mark, followed a moment later by normal booting from my internal drive (which puts me right back where I started).

System prefs' "Startup Disc" shows that OS 10.5 is on the DVD but if a I choose it, I get the same "non-boot" as described above. If I hold down the C key and start up with the DVD inserted in the optical drive, I get the same results. Naturally, if it won't boot from the DVD I can't even begin the installation. Did I not use the disc image properly to create an install disc?

I am using a G5 Quad with OS 10.4.8 and 4GB Ram.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Did you make sure that it was burned as a bootable disc? I haven't used Toast, but I'd guess that's what your problem is. Also, if you hold down the option key while booting up, you'll have the chance to select which drive you're booting from, rather than just holding down the 'c' key. Just a matter of preference which one you use I guess.

in disk utility, it's just under "options" and make sure that you select "GUID partition table" if you're using an intel mac (for powerpc, just leave it Apple Partition Table, i believe) and then restore it to a USB drive (FW for powerpc) or burn it to a DL-DVD

That should work........and from experience, it will DEFINITELY install faster using USB than from a DVD....IMHO

I hate to sound stupid but are yoiu saying: open disk utility, then select my downloaded leopard disc image, then select "Partition", then ... do what? I would really appreciate it if you could provide more details. Thanks so much for being patient with me.