Advice on motherboard that support Intel Core 2 Duo

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Currently I have a Intel Pentium 4, 4GB of DDR2 400 and AGP video card. I want to upgrade to Core 2 Duo but I invested in a lot of memory and don't want to throw that just away - any recommendations welcome on what motherboard will work with this memory and new CPU, perfect if it still suport AGP as well but I can live with a new PCI-E if the memory is supported.

Thanks

Jaco

DDR2-800 or DDR-400? No such thing as DDR2-400. If you have the old DDR-I variety, there are very few boards that support DDR-I with LGA775, and they normally have only two slots for a max of 2GB. I currently do not know if there are any DDR-I/LGA775 combo motherboards out there that have support for 4GB or even have 4 slots for DDR-I memory.

Out with the old, in with the new. To actually "feel" the upgrade from the old to the new architecture, you'd eventually have to use DDR-II. IMHO DDR-I with the Core2 Duos will have a detrimental performance effect compared with using DDR-II.

I feel your pain, I had a lot of stuff I had to let go when upgrading to PCIe and DDR-II, no regrets though.

Yes I have 4 x 1GB - I noticed that I might have to loose 2 GB since most motherboards only support up to 2 GB for DDR-400 and I think I can live with that, so now it's just finding the right board.

Zulu.Walker - I am sure it's DDR2-400 memory - if you do a google you find lots of information about it, even on Wiki - look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

You could try an ASUS P5LD2-VM/C, like I have. It has 4 RAM slots, with the latest BIOS you could have Core Duo support also. Actually as I purchased the board, I was able to install an Intel P4-915 D on it, and works like a charm with OS X 10.4.9... The board is not the greatest one for overclocking, but actually I didn't need to do it, as I am pretty happy with the 2.8-3 GHz only. Paired with an ASUS 7600GT all the games I tried out so far were working great in 1280x1024, full quality (Prey, NFS MW, Darkstar One, X3 reunion).

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I suggest this one: Asrock ConRoe865PE

• LGA 775 for Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® XE / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D, supporting Quad Core Kentsfield processors
  • Intel® 865PE Chipset

• FSB 1066/800/533 MHz, supports EM64T CPU and Hyper-Threading Technology
  • Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed AGP/ PCI Buses
  • Supports Dual Channel DDR400, 4 x DIMM slots, with max. capacity up to 4GB
  • Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology
  • 1 x AGP 8X slot
  • 2 x Serial ATA 1.5 Gb/s
  • 7.1 Channel Superior Quality Audio
  • ASRock 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB ports, 7.1 channel audio jack

LAN-working, Sound working-cheap and good. 400Mhz is working only with FSB 1066, otherwise 333MHz