Because of computers, I may lose my job

Suzuka

25 posts in this topic

Well, as some people may know, every summer I go to work at a pediatrics office, I mostly filed charts and did some insurance forms. However, this year, they changed the system, so insted of charts, all the information will be stored on computers, which means, I may lose my job, unless something else comes up for me to do. So now I'm sad, I was planing to get a PS3 this summer, but now its gunna be tough getting enough money.

Has anyone else here been replaced by a machine?

In a sense, yes. When I was younger I worked as a projectionist (very good job if you were studying, afternoon/evening and very little to do)

Originally the law said that there had to be 2 projectionists for each screen.

Eventually with automation they needed just one projectionist for several screens.

I'm firmly in support of labor being replaced by machines.

I agree, provided everybody is guaranteed a decent income.

Many years ago they were saying that eventually we would work only a few hours a week for the same wages.

What happened is just the opposite. People still work 40 hours (if they are lucky) for less money and a lot less social security.

In some cases, I agree, then we need more persision than humans, but in this case, no (Not because it is my job) for a few reasons. first off, its more inconvinient to the doctors, my dad (who is a doctor) has tried the idea at another hospital, he complained about typing any information was more trouble than just writing it. There are a few upsides, People don't have to worry about hte doctors mmessy handwriting, and you don't need to fax the information everywhere.

But not, what happens when I'm 20? will machines be the cashier (that's already started) at the grocery store?

It would be nice if a machine could provide customer service.

LifeDroidGenesis: As a matter of fact, I do have a job. Developing technologies that replace human labor. Dont worry, no one even has a cost-effective way to replace a mcdonalds burger flipper on the drawing board. At least, we don't.

Suzuka: There are plenty of jobs where machines would be unsuitable or undesirable. Doctor, for example.

And there are lots of jobs in the sciences. Government, too.

Yeah... damn those people who desire efficiency...

Speaking of which... anyone who's a big opponent of illegal immigration from Mexico should go out and try to develop technologies capable of making their labor obselete. Thus giving them no reason to be here.

Because of computers, I quit MY job. Not quite the same thing

Edit:

Working for a small company, I was THE IT guy, working mainly with Windows NT 3.51, then Windows 98 came out, and the company decided to switch all the workstation over to 98. What a nightmare, talk about a clusterscrew. I just couldn't handle it anymore. Since then, I refused to work in a job where I was responsible for maintaning computers.

I move that we replace gwprod12 with a machine. Maybe a killbot would be nice. The killbot would be more efficient.

LifeDroidGenesis: As a matter of fact, I do have a job. Developing technologies that replace human labor. Dont worry, no one even has a cost-effective way to replace a mcdonalds burger flipper on the drawing board. At least, we don't.

Oh gw, I'm not going to be as subtle and clever as you; don't {censored} insult me, especially when you don't even know what you're talking about, which, unfortunately for everyone, is most of the time.

Oh gw, I'm not going to be as subtle and clever as you; don't {censored} insult me, especially when you don't even know what you're talking about, which, unfortunately for everyone, is most of the time.

LifeDroid, don't get upset by gwprod12's terrible attitude. He always act like he has a {censored} stuck in his {censored}. Oh, wait.....

:blink:

Computers and machines replacing human labor is fine, and indeed, desirable.

It only creates more jobs, anyway. Industry changes. People freaked out at the onset of the industrial revolution, that labor would be replaced, etc. That was nearly a decade ago, and we're fine. Now we're in the technology age, and life will only continue to get better and better.

-3nigma

That's what I say. As a nation (the US, but it applies to every nation, really), we must emphasize science and technology and high-end manufacturing, and de-emphasize picking strawberries, flipping burgers and selling trinkets. Human minds are too valuable to waste on work a machine can do.

As for having a terrible attitude. I just lay things out logically. If you have a problem with my logic, then counter it. If you don't know how, then learn how.

It only creates more jobs, anyway. Industry changes. People freaked out at the onset of the industrial revolution, that labor would be replaced, etc. That was nearly a decade ago, and we're fine. Now we're in the technology age, and life will only continue to get better and better.

-3nigma

Oh yea. That proves it. You are a genius! All you have to do is look at the unemployment rates!

The chocolate ration has increased 25 grams!

Yes in a certain way, by the greed machine, in a situation where a yearly increase of 6.5% in profits and dividends was considered 'not satisfactory' by the shareholders and 'corners were cut' in such a shortsighted manner that they eventually shot themselves in the foot...

It only creates more jobs, anyway. Industry changes. People freaked out at the onset of the industrial revolution, that labor would be replaced, etc. That was nearly a decade ago, and we're fine.

More like a century or two ago :hysterical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution

I think we all figured out what you meant.

The point is, that it sucks when you lose your job because of an advance in technology. But that isnt a good reason to stop technological development.

And sometimes a technological solution isnt the best one for any given task.